AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Those of you who use networksolutions,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Those of you who use networksolutions, Reply with quote

Those of you who use networksolutions, is it true that you do not set the domain's IP address in your control panel, but you only set DNS servers?
delridge
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so, yeah. I have my domains registered with NetSol, and I've only seen places to put nameserver info, not IP addresses.

Matt
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you need to notify your host and let them know the IP address? For example, if you set up someNewDomain.com at 12.34.56.78 and if you host with ServerMaxtrix, do you need to notify ServerMaxtrix that you host someNewDomain.com at 12.34.56.78 and your DNS has something like

ServerMaxtrixDNS1.ServerMaxtrix.com
ServerMaxtrixDNS2.ServerMaxtrix.com

No?
delridge
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know, you're out of my league. I've never gone past buying garden-variety shared hosting, where the hosting company sends me an email telling me what IP address I'm on. So what you're asking, perhaps the hosting companies have done for me, behind the scenes.

Matt
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I asked for support to my host company, so when I get the answer, I'll let you know. There's always a lot to learn.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you who use networksolutions, Reply with quote

foundThroughAdminSig wrote:
Those of you who use networksolutions, is it true that you do not set the domain's IP address in your control panel, but you only set DNS servers?

Yep - you'll only tell Netsol which DNS servers are responsible for the domain, the so called authoritative DNS servers. It's the job of the authoritative DNS servers to lookup your domain and say, if you want xyz.com then you need to contact the IP 123.123.244.244

For example, our registrar Enom (equiv. of Netsol) knows that anyone looking for aardvarkbusiness.net should be sent to ns.dedicate.co.uk which will then redirect them to 80.168.8.88

With regards who'll provide the DNS services - if you're hosting with ServerMatrix then it might be easiest to ask to use the ServerMatrix DNS servers as the authoritative ones. Definitely simpler when you have problems with a domain.

Trev
petertdavis
Executive
Executive

235 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You typically set just the DNS servers at any registration service. However, due to prior bad experiences, I'd never use Network Solutions again. Anyway, there are so many other good services that are much cheaper, why bother?
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petertdavis wrote:
You typically set just the DNS servers at any registration service. However, due to prior bad experiences, I'd never use Network Solutions again. Anyway, there are so many other good services that are much cheaper, why bother?

Can we name some for us, please?
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enom.com are the people we use. Not sure if their cheaper (guess they are), but its a heck of a lot easier to transfer domains to and from them than Netsol.

Alternatively you can do it via a third party such as Discount Domains (if she's still around here) which may or may not be cheaper/easier.

Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum