AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ServerMatrix as good as they say they are?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: ServerMatrix as good as they say they are? Reply with quote

Is anyone here hosting a site with ServerMatrix? I read many good things about ServerMatrix, but I'd like to hear from someone who's currently hosting a site with them.

Also I have a small concern; because ServerMatrix has such a good name on the web currently, ServerMatrix is reportedly growing rapidly. In many cases, this will cause quality of support to suffer; not always, but in many cases, a host company has trouble finding good staffs and train them. Is this not happening to ServerMatrix?
temi
PA
PA

29 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I hosted two server with Server Matrix (also called The Planet) I will not recommend them if this warning is not a bit too late. I have a bad experience with their technical support on several ocassions, absolutely useless.

Its a shame Ev1servers only host unmanaged servers, they are fantastic and very efficient.

Temi
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi,
I hosted two server with Server Matrix (also called The Planet) I will not recommend them if this warning is not a bit too late. I have a bad experience with their technical support on several occasions, absolutely useless.

Would you be kind to share your experience with us? Also it would be great if you can tell us when you hosted your servers(it seems like their quality is going down somewhat lately).
Quote:

Its a shame Ev1servers only host unmanaged servers, they are fantastic and very efficient.

EV1? I heard so many horror stories about them; interesting ...
temi
PA
PA

29 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm,
I suppose it boils down to personal experience, I have about 7 servers with Ev1, I have used them for over two years, I never had any serious problems, when I did it was dealt with promptly and if the people down the ladder are not treating you well the MD encourage you to contact him, his email address is on their website.

Because I manage all my Ev1 servers myself its getting too much so I though I will go for managed server, I heard lots of good things about Server matrix in web hosting talk forum so I leased two servers from them . The first server took about 3-4 days to set up, after the set up it had configuration problems, I logged a support request, no one actioned my support request for more than one day, I called, I was kept on hold for about 30 minutes (I was calling from London) I rang off and then dial them again with the same result ....... I tried to speak or email their support supervisor not way ....eventually I cancelled the serve.

The one server left has problems too later down the line, I logged a support request..... not actioned for day, I rang after not hearing from them for 1 day, support guy's explanation is that my ticket is in the queue its just not my turn yet, I would have though a server that is offline demanded urgent attention.

Well I have never had similar experience with Ev1, you always get response to support tickets within minutes, they never keep you on hold on the telephone for 30 minutes. I am not saying they are perfect but compared with Server matrix I will go for Ev1 after the experience I had with Server matrix

Temi
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The first server took about 3-4 days to set up, ...

I heard various responses regarding their support, so I don't comment on that, but their setup time is long. 3 - 4 days is probably average.
temi
PA
PA

29 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, compare that with ev1 who set up your server withing one or two hours
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think about this website?

(I have no affiliation)
-=Hero Doug=-
Executive PA
Executive PA

68 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard hit and miss stories about absolutely so many hosting companies on the web.

Pair and Lunar pages are the only two hosting companies that have substantially more success stories then horror stories.

From what I've read at WHT server matrix is about 70/30 success/failure.

I wouldn't be worried about them running out of resources, room or bandwidth since their owned by the Planet, but they may stinge on support since they concider it entry level hosting.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pair and Lunar pages are the only two hosting companies that have substantially more success stories then horror stories.

It seems to me that many hosting companies have a bad story or two. Support is lousy, response time is slow, etc. Not all hosting companies have horror story(ies), however, such as tech support lost hard drive, hard drive got defected and backup(that was supposed to be made) wasn't found anywhere, off-line for a week continuously, etc. Ones that have a horror story(ies) are the ones that you want to avoid ...
-=Hero Doug=-
Executive PA
Executive PA

68 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every hosting company has horror stories though, just visit WHT and read around there. Hosting companies can't please everyone of their customers, but some can please most of them. Laughing
Gliebster
Secretary
Secretary

8 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used ServerMatrix for a year. I plan to eventually order a second server with them. I have found their support to be good but I also have not requested support on too many occaisions. Reboot requests can take up to 45 minutes. Kernel upgrades can take up to a day. OS reloads are $75 a pop. Setup of my server took almost 3 days. They say their servers are fully managed but that depends on your definition of "fully". I would call them "semi" managed, if even that.

The prices are extremely good for what you get. Great starters if you have some idea of how to manage a server. I am satisfied with what I get for what I pay.
temi
PA
PA

29 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wont touch ServerMatrix with a barge pole.
Temi
Nick0r
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used ServerMatrix for ages, I've never had downtime, never had 1 problem with support, never had a network problem. Their service is superb and i'd recommend it to anyone.
condo
PA
PA

28 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about dedicated hosting or shared hosting?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum