AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Domain redirect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarrenC
Vice President
Vice President

439 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Domain redirect Reply with quote

I have a domain name (not the one in the signature) which is well optimised, plenty of links pointing to is and receives a good level of traffic. The problem is I don't like this domain name and would like to change it.

Obviously, the new domain name is going to take some time to get optimised to the same level, and point new links to it aswell as get it listed in Google etc. I've heard someone mention redirects from the old domain to the new one;

1) Which is the best redirect to use?
2) Would you risk using a re-direct?
3) Is it best to optimise the new domain and forget about a redirect?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Darren
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI darren, what server technology are you using, and are you simply transferring the entire site as is , filenames structure etc en bloc? Or, are you changing the site itself?
DarrenC
Vice President
Vice President

439 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OWG, the site in it's entirety.

I'm not redesigning it, just moving the files on to some new server space, and pointing the domain at that IP address.

I'm just concerned of duplicant content, but also loosing my rankings in Google until the new site is re-optimised and new links pointing to it.

Darren Smile

p.s the server is linux.
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok darren, there is no chance of you getting done for dup content on Google, yahoo is not quite so good at 301's though, but still gets there eventually.

The rality with Google is that it is going to take a month or so, (the next backlink update) for your backlinks to catch up with the new domain.

Here's a little tip for people using Apache with multiple domains pointed to a single site (even if it's just www.yourdomain.com and yourdomain.com). This can be used within your apache (or site) conf file on the server (changing the items to work with your domain/IP address of course).

<VirtualHost xxx.168.1.1>
ServerAlias www.anotherdomain.com yourdomain.com
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^192.168.1.1(:80)?$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www.yourdomain.com(:80)?$
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://www.yourdomain.com/$1 [L,R=301]
</VirtualHost>

If you cant do it that way then you can do it via the htaccess file. let me know.
Mike Dempsey
President
President

1366 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well google recommends 301 redirects but I would optimise the new site to some extent first.
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike there is no redesign work, he is just changing domain name and wants to transfer the old and replace with the new domain so all the optimisation work is done.

Darren I have to warn you against this though, as I know you have some great rankings in a very competitive arena. I would not 301 personally unless absolutely needed, as you will lose rankings and it will damage traffic.
DarrenC
Vice President
Vice President

439 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OWG, it's not for the Worldwide Holiday Homes site but another site which I've been working on but I am actually scrapping this site, as I want to concentrate 100% on WWHH.

With regard the WWHH domain - I got this domain holiday-rentals.uk.com simply because of the keywords within the domain AND initially I was going to concentrate on UK holiday rentals, which for various reasons changed quite early on.

The problem I have now is that one of my main competitiors is called Holiday Rentals Ltd., and have the same domain. I don't want to be associated with them, even though it states quite clearly who we are on the site.

I'm starting to raise the profile of my business, people are starting to take me serious, but I can see the domain name being a problem - I want my own identity, but I have spent so much time and effort on getting ranked well in the SE's and don't want to be optimising a new domain for the next 2 years again!

It's a difficult position to be in but not sure which way to go.

What do you think?

Darren
condo
PA
PA

28 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

301 redirect identifies old site with new one in Google's mind and transfers PR and link pop,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum