AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web designers based in South West needed...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefNOW
Secretary
Secretary

19 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Web designers based in South West needed... Reply with quote

Hiya!

Are there any web designers based in the South West (nr Exeter) who would be interested in joining forces to design a new generation of website?

The idea is catering based, however, it could also be adapted for many other industries...

This is an exploratory phase in development so please only respond if you have sufficient time and energy to make things really happen!

Cheers,

Simon.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but why the geographical requirement? Part of the beauty of the internet is the ability to work together yet from different locations, no?

Paul
ChefNOW
Secretary
Secretary

19 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reason for location... Reply with quote

Hi Paul!

The reason is simply because I live in that area and there will be the need to get together on a very regular basis.

Due to the nature of my work I only have limited time off and travelling to (say) London and back takes about 8 hours.

Of course, if anyone wants to get involved and is prepared to travel or meet me half way, I would be delighted to hear from them.

Cheers,

Simon.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon

This is the stock answer I normally hear when posing similar questions, but I often wonder to myself how true it really is. We do a lot of websites for hotels and many of the hoteliers insist that I go and see them to see their hotel and get a feel for the ambience. I know what they are getting at but, in short, it's a waste of my time. If they want me to get a feel for the ambience of a place, they can describe it on the telephone, send me a copy of their brochure (presumably that attempts to convey that feel) or send me photographs. I have in the past entertained these visits but nowadays I flatly refuse - not because I'm a miserable Victor Meldrew sort but more because my time can be spent more effectively elsewhere (eg. working on the websites for hoteliers who don't feel I must visit them). In your particular case, is it truly really necessary for you to meet up, or are you just one of those people that likes to have that face to face interaction...? Don't misunderstand me... I'm not saying it's wrong for you to want that even if it's not totally unnecessary... I'm just curious as to how people approach this.

Paul
ChefNOW
Secretary
Secretary

19 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul!

The website I am planning is not for individual purposes...

For obvious reasons I do not want to give the idea away here, however, I can say that potentially the venture will be worth many thousands of pounds to those who participate in its set-up.

I really do need to have a face to face consultation with someone who truly knows the insides and outs of large website design and would be interested in getting personally involved with the project.

Please feel free to give me a call (details are at the ChefNOW! website) and I shall gladly give you an overview of what I have in mind.

Cheers,

Simon
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not sure why you need that face to fact contact but at the same time I do respect that different people like to work differently.

If you want to share the idea, feel free to PM me (we have lots of experience of large websites), but I'll tell you now that I ain't journeying down to Exeter. Razz

Paul, impersonal as ever Wink
ChefNOW
Secretary
Secretary

19 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul...

Thanks anyway, however, as I have said - the idea is too valuable to bandy about and I am not going to share it here.

You may like to know that I have created many websites and have even co-written stories etc using the internet so I am not the sort of person who insists on face to face unless it is essential!

I need someone who demonstrates enthusiasm ,with a committed attitude and is able to see the future - not just worried about the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Simon
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem... I understand. Smile

Good luck with finding someone.

Paul
Neilson
President
President

695 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with Paul on this one. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of protecting your idea, but I can't see why regular telephone conversations can't suffice. I myself have dealt with a project with projected anual profits of 6 figures, which the backend of the project was dealt with by telephone conversations.

If its a case of trust, I would recommend contacting your local university, which is what we did. Sometimes they offer schemes whereby PhD computer science students take on external projects as part of their studies, but charge a fraction of what a professional programmer would. Plus the university may offer a grant towards the students fees similar to business link grants. I personally can put trust in the professor of computer science after numerous telephone conversations
ChefNOW
Secretary
Secretary

19 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

I hope you understand that I cannot divulge what I what to create, however, I do appreciate your interest in my project...

I would be more than happy to explain what I want to do to someone who wants to listen and is genuinely motivated into being a part of this - I'm afraid that there is little financial backing to start with and this must be a project of 'faith' performed over a period of time in order to get it right!

Look at it as a step into the future - a leap of faith and you will be halfway there!

I am quite happy to travel to London etc to meet up with interested parties, however, it is going to be quite a mammoth website and I don't have the personal finances to back it up at this time... All I can say is that this has NEVER been done before and will attract over 250,000 people in the UK alone - If taken on a global basis you are talking millions and because it is a subscription site it will be generating a great deal of money.

I would like to be in touch with someone who would like to be part of this venture on a long term basis - I am looking at an equal basis partnership with my idea and someone elses skills being the only requirement.

How simple is that?

Cheers,

Simon.

ps for a very simple overview take a look at http://pcagb.bravehost.com - This is a simple 'test' site - The real one will be a hundred times bigger and better.
MikeH
President
President

747 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there is a potential stumbling block. The fact that the designers will have to stump up there time and money may well deter most professional web developers. I could suggest a company in the SW west that is working on a very complicated project for us but I do not think that they would work on those terms. Sometimes in life you do get what you pay for.

Mike.
ChefNOW
Secretary
Secretary

19 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike!

I appreciate that, which is why I am prepared to let the right people/person come into this venture as a full partner(s).

The test site I created was simply put together using a free site, however, it took me a long time and is after all only what will become a section of the finished thing. It also has advertising, the revenue which will, of course, belong to the company we set up.

Cheers,

Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum