AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DNS Forwarding x2 Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bytech
Vice President
Vice President

588 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: DNS Forwarding x2 Question Reply with quote

I noticed that although my site is crawled pretty good by Google, Google never sends out too many spiders my way. What I mean is that most websites my size (a small site + forum of 11K+ posts) have often over a hundred guests on with majority being Google. Mine hasn't hit 20 in a long, long, time... since I changed forum software and domain name.

So, I am beginning to really wonder if my DNS settings are doing me over. Here is what I've done: first, my old domain name is redirected via DNS redirect (using the service of domain-dns.com) to the webspace of my new domain name. Second, to cover who I am buying hosting services from (since I resell), I have redirected my new domain name via domain-dns as well, simply to cover the web hosts name servers in WHOIS.

A couple of days ago I have removed the DNS "cloack" to the new domain, and entered the hosts NS instead. In a couple of months, the old domain name will expire, and I am thinking of dumping it as I am worried it is dragging me down. At the same time, I am worried that with the old doman name gone, I'll lose even more ranks (doing really bad these days).

The whole change of setup was done about a year ago. Before the change, we'd get around 600 unique visitors a day... these days we're in the low double digits. All our pages seem to be indexed for the new domain name, PR just went up from 3 to 4 during the last update. We're climbing, but at a fraction of the pace that the original domain climbed. I'll be old and gray before things are back to the old levels at this pace.

We didn't have a ton of backlinks to the old domain, so we did lose a bit there. Also, as I mentioned earlier, with the domain name change we changed from phpBB to IPB. If anyone has any info on wether my setup is killing us, or if it is a matter of getting more backlinks again, I'd appreciate to hear from you.
bytech
Vice President
Vice President

588 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, DNS forwards are EVIL. Got a note from Google just before 14:00 today about the old URL having been removed after I killed the DNS forward, and since that time the Googlebot has flooded the board. Thousands of hits today... more than we used to get in a month. All started going nuts minutes after 14:00. I think we're back in business!
BernardErtl
President
President

11 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. I guess Googlebot doesn't like sites that try to hide something....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum