AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCTV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toon
Executive
Executive

319 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: CCTV Reply with quote

Looking into security for my new shop when I get it. I'm thinking about CCTV but wondered which way I should go about it?

Do I:

*Buy pinhole wireless cameras and link them to a TV/VCR out the back - obviously people don't know they're being watched?
*Buy Dummy cameras - so people think they're being watched?
*Buy big cameras that you can't miss - so people know they're being watched?
*Buy mirrored dome cameras - so people know the cameras are there but don't know if it's looking at them.

Also, a thought that had croassed my mind is that I would have changing rooms so what security can I have for these? Obviously, as much as I'd like to, I wont be able to put cameras in them Sad
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those options I would go with the mirrored dome cameras as the shoplifters are very good at watching where the camera is pointing especially if they're in gangs. Alternatively, could you have 2 cameras covering from the back corners so there are no blind corners except by the back wall.

Also be careful how you layout the shop floor. For example, don't have clothes racks standing freely near the door as they can be used for hiding of evidence and quick getaways. Ideal would be around the edges of the shop with a space in the middle for people to move around and less room for shoplifters, but thats probably not always practical.

Oh and be very careful about the positioning of the till. I would highly recommend a simple plastic ledge above the drawer which makes grabbing raids very difficult.

Essentially if you make it hard for them, they're much more likely to target someone else.

Oh definitely don't go with faked cameras as some of them simply hope you won't see them plus the insurance company might be less willing to pay out and the police less interested if you can't easily identify the thieves.

Theres also your personal safety. For example, my sister used to work in a off-licence where a guy walked in hiding what he claimed was a gun under his coat (turned out to be a small knife), but the CCTV wasn't working so they couldn't ID him easily which didn't help. In his case, someone who knew him saw him running from the shop, but it's not worth taking the risk...

Trev
Toon
Executive
Executive

319 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good advice there. Thanks. I've also found out that using secret cameras is forbidden. I'll probably go with the dome ones but shame they don't do wireless ones. Hopefully shouldn't be too hard putting on ceiling.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be careful to make sure it doesn't cover the changing rooms or you could also be in trouble. A bit unfortunate as thats the most obvious way to hide clothes unless you have some kind of key system like some larger stores have so you know who's taking what in.

Trev
Toon
Executive
Executive

319 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev wrote:
I would be careful to make sure it doesn't cover the changing rooms or you could also be in trouble. A bit unfortunate as thats the most obvious way to hide clothes unless you have some kind of key system like some larger stores have so you know who's taking what in.

Trev

Yeah, already thought about that. Would just have to be 2 items at a time Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum