AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your thought on turning your hobby into (semi) business?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Your thought on turning your hobby into (semi) business? Reply with quote

I love watching movies, and I watch a movie a day; there are days that I can't do that, but I still watch a lot of movies. So, if I start a blog or forum, then it's like my turning my hobby into (semi) business. What's your thought on that? I feel like I'll making every bit of my life into business if I do that. Is it a good thing or bad thing?
SteveH
Secretary
Secretary

24 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing what you love for a living is probably the best way to run your life. However, turning everything in your life into a business would leave you little time to do what you love.

A bit of a double edged sword!
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveH wrote:
Doing what you love for a living is probably the best way to run your life. However, turning everything in your life into a business would leave you little time to do what you love.

A bit of a double edged sword!

Where should you draw a line?
O'Connell Marketing
Secretary
Secretary

21 ants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Try a little logic... Reply with quote

Where should you draw a line?[/quote]

Do you want to share your knowledge or do you want to profit from your knowledge.

Lets just say for the moment that you CANNOT do both. In the case of your movie blog, what do you want to do?

Really want...

OK, with that answer you now know what is more important to you and can implement your time and energies accordingly.

You had the answer all along!
www.ocmarketing.net
Professional Consultation Specializing in Marketing, Sales and Media Production
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mike Dempsey
President
President

1366 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably pick profit as I have lived the other side and having everyone say wow your great, why arnt you retired by now gets really annoying.

its easy to decide, if you still enjoy getting paid for what you are doing and enjoy enough of your work to be happy doing that even if there are some elements you dont like go for it.
Ian J
PA
PA

30 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea as long as the usual business constraints apply. In this particular instance the market for forums about film, DVD and home theater is pretty well saturated and it would be difficult to launch another one that would be successful enough to earn an income from.

invoice discounting and factoring broker
RSL
PA
PA

33 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think carefully about how you turn it into your business as you don't want to end up hating your hobby!

However its really great if you can turn your passion into something that makes you money.

info@rslmanagementservices.co.uk
www.rslmanagementservices.co.uk

www.whosfordinner.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
frassinetti
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: I have turned my hobby into a business. Reply with quote

I have turned my hobby into a business.
Or maybe it was the other way round, I started this my small business and now its my hobby, anyway read on ............ The first project I began to work on was the on a toy museum. I found myself finding in flea markets, fairs and old toy shops beautiful and rare toys made in Argentina about which there was no information available.

I looked everywhere until I found out that I couldn’t find it ‘cause it didn’t exist. All the amazing Argentine made toys I collected were made during the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, and unlike other countries in the world who worry about their history and cultural legacy, we –as a society- have let them in forget.

So at the same time I collected vintage and antique toys I began to develop a research group who was in charge of finding all loose pieces available to complete the puzzle of the Argentinean toy industry’s history. The result has been so far not only encouraging but amazing, for besides of understanding the true nature of some of our most marvellous items, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing many of the most outstanding Argentinean industrials.

The Museum has grown ever since I blended the objects with the information about them. And it has become to be the first virtual museum on Argentinean toys in the country and in Latin America. The feedback we’ve received throughout these incredible years of hard and hearted work have gave us strength and passion to keep on developing what so far is has come to be a brilliant idea.

At the same time the Museum grew and I began to discover the richness in Argentina’s cultural and social history through means of one of its material productions: toys. A ticking question my toy oriented research unveiled was that every culture reflexes their vision of the world through their objects, and I found out that many American models that were been produced in Argentina were been adapted to the Latin American cultural public.

So I began to wonder about how an immigrant built country’s objects would reflect this, and it has been quite a great surprise, the blend of the indigenous, colonial and immigrant cultures is superb down here and the objects these past generations have left us are outstanding.

This is how ArtDealer, as a cultural and collectibles project began. My second project .....

My initial knowledge of art and antiques, and my experience with cultural research at the Museum were the foundation for Art Dealer to begin to grow. At the same time, as I kept on travelling through the bewitching scenarios of the beautiful Argentina I began to understand a bit more about that eclectic and gorgeous culture that intrigued me so much about the objects of our forefathers. Precious treasures, hidden under the everyday life’s chores.

To me this has been a discovering experience that has filled me with joy, and keeps on surprising me every day as a young child who begins to open up to the world’s marvels. When Argentina, during the 2001 crisis, began to open up to travellers from all over the world, who were coming to discover this wonderful place, I thought I had to share my experience with those who cherished culture, travelling, and discovering as much as I did.

I also thought that if I were to travel overseas I’d love to do it the way the saying says: When in Rome, you do what Romans do… and nothing better than a Roman to show you how.

To share my knowledge and discoveries, I design custom made tours, not only ‘cause I like to work on a personal basis, but because I deeply believe each of us is unique and has different interests and passions and mass produced standard culture leaves out –some times- very important things.

And for Buenos Aires, as every other metropolis has something to offer to each and every one of us, likewise Argentina. Nearly 10 years have gone by now since I’ve began to picture this broad cultural project, and each and every one of the days I’ve worked to develop my idea have been amazing, with its ups and downs, inputs and changes of direction. I’m very glad and grateful to be able to do what I love most and to be able to share it with others who, as myself find this lifetime experience unique and beautiful. Bob Frassinetti.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gongchime
PA
PA

47 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really relate to your post. I fell in love with Asia in Junior High school and have made Indochina my focus/niche since then.. I'd like to turn my love into a business which is why I have been experimenting with my website. It has some musical instruments for sale from Vietnam and I'd like to research the market for a musical fusion of western and Indochinese but don't know how to go about doing that really. I'd also like to sell authentic Thai and Indonesian instruments as well as cultural products. There has got to be something fairly profitable in that mix somewhere.

I finally fell in love with this idea because I heard an amazing soundtrack to a movie called Siamese Twins which was about these real guys from Siam who were joined at the hip and who lived in the wild west, married two twins (unconnected) and were financially successful.

The soundtrack was made by an African American jazz marimba player who had been very active in putting shows on behind the scenes in Bangkok and elsewhere in Asia for big name players like Michael Jackson etc... He married a Thai woman and they have a son together.

I'm also inspired by the story about the composer for the music "Tubular Bells". He tried to get financing but no one would give it to him until he met Richard Branson and they've sold several million copies if I remember correctly.
http://www.contemplationgarden.bravehost.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum