AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We don't need no education

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: We don't need no education Reply with quote

How important is education in helping you to run a successful business or in determining your job prospects, would you say? Do you regard experience as being more critical, for instance?

Aaron
BernardErtl
President
President

11 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are necessary to reach peak performance.

Education opens up possibilities in creative thinking / recognizing opportunities IMO. It is always good to have a broad base to work from.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that both are very helpful, but wouldn't go so far as to say they are absolutely necessary. There will always be 'exceptions to the rule' - those people that have, for whatever reason, succeeded against all the odds, without much of an education and with little or no experience. I suppose these cases are exceptions but it doesn't always seem that way because it's this type of story which always grabs the media attention. As an employer, I would sooner look at a person's past work, than I would at a piece of paper which says what exams they have or haven't passed.

Paul
TWI
Vice President
Vice President

438 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, all.

Aaron: The title of this thread was not lost on me (careful with that axe, Eugene!) Smile
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWI wrote:
Aaron: The title of this thread was not lost on me (careful with that axe, Eugene!) Smile

Aha... a Pink Floyd fan in our midst! Violin

Aaron
toddieg
PA
PA

36 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Education is important in all aspects.

However, in my experience, college did just about nothing for me as far as computer work is concerned (even with my business degree). Very Happy However, It did provide me with a good work ethic, solid motivation and extreme dedication to projects, which became benefitial later in life.
southern oregon real estate
Mike Merz
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, All ..Wink

I'm big on ongoing education, in the form of research ...

Often times, you'll run across a situation that demands recall of info previously learned ... but not frequently applied.

... and, as my brain is like a seive, I do need a refresher from time to time to stay on top of my game. Wink

That goes without saying ... new concepts and strategies, laws, markets, mediums, etc., are being added to the mix on a constant basis, and need to be understood if we're to remain competative.

My schooling, in reference to the core concepts of business ... is now 20 years past, and though I've gained much knowledge through repetition and unique experiences ... I still like to brush up every once in a while to fill in the cracks that time has created.

Regards,

Mike "learning on a constant basis" Merz
ohioadman
PA
PA

23 ants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Education will give you comfort! Reply with quote

Speaking from someone who has been in business for 24 years, a business that I bought with money saved from a job to today where my business is all but paid for with no college education I wish that I had went that extra distance 28 years ago, simply because I would feel that I was more marketable, this is what I tell my kids! Get the degree then if you want to go into business and fail you will have other options.

In today's market it is not a good idea not to put all of your eggs in one basket! There are alway's exceptions to every rule and if anyone here is the exception, great.

I knew a man in the mid 90's that simply loved computers and over a 6 year period he became a self taught guru, started his own company doing consulting and today is a millionaire. So their is always exceptions to every rule and that exception is made with drive.

Good Luck! Laughing

Become a partner by exchanging links:
http://www.buckeyeads.com/links/signup.php
View our Classifieds:
http://www.buckeyeads.com/classified
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum