AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much money brings happiness?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Accountancy & Finance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: How much money brings happiness? Reply with quote

Money may be able to buy happiness but it costs nearly £2.7 million, claim researchers.

The average person would need £2,658,144 to buy their dream home and car and have the holidays and lifestyle they aspire to.

It would take someone on an average salary 94 years to earn this sum, according to Yahoo! Personal Finance.

Women are more demanding than men, needing just over £2.7 million to pursue their dream lifestyle, compared with men's £2.6 million.

People also get more demanding as they get older, with people aged under 24 needing £2.55 million to be happy, while those in the 44 to 55 age group would need £2.9 million.

Yahoo! asked people to fill in an online questionnaire giving details of their salary and level of savings they had.

They were then asked a series of questions about their ideal home, car and holiday, what type of person their ideal partner would be and how they would woo them, what they liked to eat, drink and do on a night out and what type of clothes they liked.

Each answer was given a numerical value that was then used to calculate the cost of happiness. In addition the group divided people into four different categories based on their saving and spending behaviour.

It found that 45% of people wanted to be playboys or playgirls, enjoying a party lifestyle, while 39% were dubbed flashers - standing for funds low, always spending heaps. About 15% of people fell into the happy chaps category - standing for have accumulated plenty, cash and happiness - maintaining the lifestyle they want through maximising their finances, while 1% were misers, making their money work hard for them.

Yahoo! questioned 2,500 people online during November and December.

Paul
Emmett
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting.
...and Merrium - Webster says:
hap·pi·ness
Pronunciation: 'ha-pi-n&s
Function: noun
1 obsolete : good fortune : PROSPERITY
2 a : a state of well-being and contentment : JOY b : a pleasurable or satisfying experience

ob·so·lete
Pronunciation: "äb-s&-'lEt, 'äb-s&-"
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin obsoletus, from past participle of obsolescere to grow old, become disused, perhaps from ob- toward + solEre to be accustomed
1 a : no longer in use or no longer useful b : of a kind or style no longer current : OLD-FASHIONED

So you see "Happiness" is no longer a valid measure. We are never happy but are only possesed with "Good fortune" or "Prosperity".
It's all in your mind not in your pocket. (see 2a above)

Ha, tell that to the bill collector. Wink
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having been someone who went from being able to afford practically anything, to sleeping on the floor of a shitty bedsit in drug city (not on drugs myself though) I can honestly say that TRUE happiness can not be bought by money, it comes from being loved.

I now earn a respectable amount, have to budget to buy major items, but have the love of my wife and 4 year old daughter, I for one agree that while money does not buy you happiness, it is difficult to be happy without it. But a surplus of it does not make you happy
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good summary, I'd say... although I'm not entirely sure about this bit:

Old Welsh Guy wrote:
...it is difficult to be happy without it.

I was in Tanzania on honeymoon last summer and, although poor, the people we saw were tremendously friendly, and seemingly very happy with life...

Paul
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will rephrase that bit, It is difficult to be happy without it (in the UK) Wink

In a few years time, when Lottie goes off either to uni, or just 'goes off' lol I intend getting in a van of some description and trogging off down to North Africa etc, and will do whatever I am able to do. Pick fruit, live in a vilage in the Rif mountains of Morrocco (its lovely there).

One thing i will NOT be doing, is growing old in the cold Crying or Very sad
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun... we'll look forward to seeing you on the travel forums when you start making your plans. Wink

Aaron

PS - Long time since I was in Morocco but can heartily recommend the Atlas Mountains... don't actually know the Rif mountains...
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I define happyness as being able to afford to buy a new computer every few years and not having to go back to dialup Internet... Very Happy

£2.7m - hmm....trouble is the more money I have, the more I want to save it although luckily I've not been into the poverty stakes.

Trev
PS: That last statement doesn't mean I can afford to take a 43% paycut Aaron (need a new car)! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Accountancy & Finance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum