AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Communicating with government employees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Communicating with government employees Reply with quote

Communicating with government employees is very frustrating; I feel like they're just sucking my energy whenever I speak to them. If I don't act submissively, then they're extremely impolite and they don't do a thing for me. If I act submissively, politely or both, then they're totally bitchy. It's no fun to speak to them, but it often becomes necessary. I feel like I'm getting anxiety attack when I think about the next time I have to speak to a government employee.

Is there anything we can do to not feel so exhausted, frustrated or distressed as we communicate with government employees? Any tip?
lakedaemon
Executive PA
Executive PA

121 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most government employees suffer from what I term "little terrier" syndrome. That is they belong to a body that is of some power but they individually have little themselves, therefore they have to assert power to show that they are important. This behaviour is typified in all sorts of professions where little the little power granted is reflected in an almost vindictive pleasure in wielding it.

The trouble is if you appear submissive, it is a sign that they can do what they want, if you don't then they are resentful. In most of these situations the only language understood is "accountability", if you appear like someone who is going to get them into a lot of trouble, then you will see an almost unseen side - flattering helpfulness.

Does sound very much like dog training I know, but it works.
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refuse to deal with them like I decided to Very Happy Now if I have the occasion to communicate, I do it via Email only.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a problem with most public-funded bodies. There's invariably too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. They're all above their station (OK, I generalise a little Wink) and don't act is a business-like fashion (as they don't have to be profitable like rest of us).

My experiences of working for public-funded bodies is that it's more hassle than its worth. They have needless meetings (where people invariably don't know what they're talking about), like to pick your brain for ideas with "tenders" and so on... so, like OWG, I tend to avoid them nowadays.

Paul
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mu wrote:

The trouble is if you appear submissive, it is a sign that they can do what they want, if you don't then they are resentful. In most of these situations the only language understood is "accountability", if you appear like someone who is going to get them into a lot of trouble, then you will see an almost unseen side - flattering helpfulness.

Does sound very much like dog training I know, but it works.

Ok ... how do you do this assuming that there is an occasion that you just have to communicate with a government employee?
lakedaemon
Executive PA
Executive PA

121 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is just how I do things, but it is all about impression, tone and presence. If on meeting someone, talking on the phone or writing to someone, you appear to be someone who knows what they are talking about then you are likely to be treated with more respect.

eg. If you are talking to someone from a specific council or government department, read up on current legislation in their respective fields (This is along the lines of Sun tzu's theory of 'knowing your enemy'). If people are generaly being stubborn or inconsiderate, let them know and tell them that this behaviour is unsatisfactory and that you will be complaining in writing to their manager (a written record of any bad behaviour is not a great thing for any govenrment employee to have). Always get the name of the person you are dealing with at the beginning of every conversation, this makes them accountable and not just a voice on the other end of the line.

Think on this. Would the same person act exactly the same if they had a call from a senior government official? I think not. People respect authority.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mu wrote:
OK, this is just how I do things, but it is all about impression, tone and presence. If on meeting someone, talking on the phone or writing to someone, you appear to be someone who knows what they are talking about then you are likely to be treated with more respect.

I kind of did that, and …, uh, it went more smoothly than I expected though the lady didn’t exactly treat me like a waiter/waitress at a 5 star restaurant would treat me. I asked her to do a certain task for me, and I just spoke plainly what I was required to do before I asked her and I presented all documents; I didn’t really wait and let her explain what was required to do or what documents I was required to prepare. She just took my documents and took care of the business. It was not the most pleasant interaction, but it was not the worst interaction, either. Some lesson to be learned …
lakedaemon
Executive PA
Executive PA

121 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it. I suppose it is important to realise that not everyone is the same. There are some people who just want to get on with the job. Last week I phoned up my credit card company and almost fell over with the cheery, helpful and charming person that I dealt with. Not at all used to that.

As an afterthought, do you think that if more people were actually recognised for being helpful in their respective jobs, that might rub off on the others? This would of course mean, that we as consumers of their services would have to go that extra bit and commend people, but hey, we are quick to pick up the pen when we want to complain. Why not the other way around?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum