AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting copyright dispute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Interesting copyright dispute Reply with quote

Burundi has used this image on its 10,000 franc note:

A photographer who took this picture is claiming that its his work and that he never granted permission for its use:

You can read more about the story at http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/newswire/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002425159

Paul
RJ
Secretary
Secretary

18 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.

In situations like this I always think there is way more to the story then we will ever hear!
lakedaemon
Executive PA
Executive PA

121 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite interesting, the two pictures are very similar. I haven't read the full story, and it may already have been sorted out by now, but my main point is, that copying in any format goes both ways.

It is not beyond the realms of possiblity that the photograph was taken to resemble the bank note. Perhaps I have a suspicious mind, I don't know...
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not impossible, I suppose, but I think it would be MUCH easier to produce the drawing from the photo than to produce the photo from the drawing.

Paul
jfslenes
Executive
Executive

193 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: "Confusingly similar" = possible winning suit Reply with quote

Many moon back, another firm set up shop with 2/3rds of our biz name which was registered with our state. After some time, we sued to stop their use of our name. (Yes, I too hate to fill the pockets of the legal people but I felt the need) Although we provided considerable evidence (mail delivered incorrectly, calls to wrong businesses, etc.) that the two names were confusing to the public and government, the court held that the two names were NOT similar enough to warrant a finding in our favor.

The other firm is now long gone and we remain functional (debatable possibly). Guess we lost the battle but won the war.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: "Confusingly similar" = possible winning suit Reply with quote

jfslenes wrote:
Many moon back, another firm set up shop with 2/3rds of our biz name which was registered with our state. After some time, we sued to stop their use of our name. (Yes, I too hate to fill the pockets of the legal people but I felt the need) Although we provided considerable evidence (mail delivered incorrectly, calls to wrong businesses, etc.) that the two names were confusing to the public and government, the court held that the two names were NOT similar enough to warrant a finding in our favor.

The other firm is now long gone and we remain functional (debatable possibly). Guess we lost the battle but won the war.

One thing I really dislike about going over legal stuff is that lawyers always win and those who hire lawyers generally lose in the end regardless of the outcome.
jfslenes
Executive
Executive

193 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Always two winners in a suit Reply with quote

Believe you hit it on the head. There are only two real winners in any law dispute - the two attorneys.

Makes one wonder why we elect legislators (mostly lawyers) who pass laws that will be adjudicated (by lawyer judges) while we the public get generally screwed. Gee, the cynic is showing his opinionated self again. That is not the secret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum