AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating labels online

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Programming Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Creating labels online Reply with quote

I'm looking for an online application to create labels online; I'd like to create labels like wine labels. I'd like to enter information like

Name
Producer
Quantity
Note

All these information are entered online, and as the user submits these information, the online application automatically creates a label online and gives it to you.

Does anyone know if there is such an online application?
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to create an online label application for a certain client, and here's the situation. He wants something platform-independent. This application is an online application, so any computer can use it as long as it has the internet connection. Now, this application cannot create files like Word document files, Photoshop files or PaintShop Pro files because they are only available on certain platforms. Files like OpenOffice files and PDF files are platform independent because applications to read those files are available on all platforms and they are freely available. However, they still need to be installed, so they are not exactly available on all computers that exist; furthermore, it's very possible that he needs to troubleshoot many computers to get these applications working.

I was thinking about creating image files like jpeg and gif. The problem, however, is that it is awfully difficult and complicated to create these files online (right?). I also checked to see if there is any application that does remotely similar to this, but there isn't any (or I couldn't find any). Also he wants this in a couple of weeks and he doesn't want to spend a lot of money to make this, so I don't think that it's realistic for us (him and myself) to pursue this routine. So, here's what I'm thinking. I can make an online application to create an html page that has a bunch of labels lined up. The user can print this out and cut it into labels. It's easy for the user to save and this is a light-weight task for the server. Also since labels only need lines and letters with different colors and fonts at the moment, this can be done relatively easily; html provides enough facilities.

q1. How does this plan sound?

q2. Is it easy to draw lines in fixed lengths using html?
Neilson
President
President

695 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure there is a specific app that accomodates such functionality, but it could be custom written quite easily using PHP and the GD Library:

http://www.libgd.org/Main_Page
http://www.php.net/gd
http://www.nyphp.org/content/presentations/GDintro/gd26.php
Neilson
President
President

695 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a chance to reasearch this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Programming Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum