AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sometimes wish i didn't

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Working from Home Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonksharpe
Secretary
Secretary

34 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Sometimes wish i didn't Reply with quote

I have worked from home for three years now and my life has changed in some ways for the better, but in many ways for the worse.

Since starting my business a have put on weight due to long hours in front of the computer, my relationship with my girlfriend has suffered because i end up working late into the night. Sometimes I might not leave the house for two or three days at a time which ends up making you feel miserable and often I crave the opportunity to work outdoors.

On the plus side, working from home can make me a lot of money. I can work my own hours and meet dealines with ease. I can also claim a few household items and bills against tax that I otherwise would not be able to do. I save a heck of a lot of petrol and my car insurance is cheaper because I do less miles per year.

If you are considering working from home, my advice is to think about how it will effect every aspect of your life, not just the business side of things.
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, Jon... taking all those pros and cons into account, which do you think outweighs the other?

Aaron
jonksharpe
Secretary
Secretary

34 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very hard to say. On some days, usaully the ones where lots of cheques come through the door, ive never been so happy. But on other days it can be lonely and hard work.

I guess it depends what kind of business you are running. I would say that the very most important thiong is to make sure you really enjoy what you are doing and that its going to keep you interested.

Also, make sure you work in a room set up for just doing business. Don't work anywhere near the TV.

set yourself a time for getting up in the morining and taking breaks during the day. Only work into the night if your eally need to and try to get out for at least an hour each evening.

Go for walks or you will put on weight.

I would find it hard to go back to having a boss I think. Yes, thinking about it properly I would say i prefer working from home, but you have to set up a routine to make it work.
MorpheusBiz
Secretary
Secretary

23 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, jon. I can relate to the extra weight and strain on relationships.

Like you, it took me a while to adjust and find some kind of middle ground. About a year ago, I converted one of the bedrooms in my house into an office, and that's the only thing I use it for. I set up a schedule...which I am not always great at keeping...where I work certain times, but I get away from the computer to do some other things that are the complete opposite of my home based business. It has helped me very much.

Jim
FastWebUpdates
Executive PA
Executive PA

81 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked out of a second bedroom in a condo for two years. Great sutff. Except when I needed to have an employee. And then I moved in with my then fiance and now lovely wife and started a kitchen remodel. I had to get out.

The new office is 3 blocks from the house. It's somewhat shabby but the rent is dirt cheap and all inclusive. I can get back and forth without the commute (a huge deal for me--traffic exacerbates my general irritability). And it's possible to have actual employees to help grow the biz.

What's the point of all this? How about, if you think its time to stop working from home, it's (probably) not that hard to find a reasonable work around. If you don't want your own space, you can (probably) share office space with others and still be independent.

But you're still going to get fat.
rachhs
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Boundaries Reply with quote

The most important factor when working from home is to set yourself clear boundaries and then make sure that you honour them. Agree that you will not work beyond a certain time, that you will take regular breaks, that you will exercise etc. Imagine what a perfect working situation would look like and then set yourself some clear goals that represent this. You can then take actions to ensure that you are working to your own boundaries and not neglecting other areas of your life.

Many thanks
Rachel
Work Life Balance Coach.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro - You have ability to handle your own stress, IMO. If you are employed, you have a lot of obligations. Especially if your boss is a psychopath, you get stressed a lot and you can't really change that by your own effort.
bravo2824
PA
PA

31 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all of this info. has been great.
I currently work a job at a call centre doing tech support for the Road Runner internet service and i'm going nutz its not a job for me but its getting me the money to start my own biz.
I am currently doing research on the biz. i would like to start and found that its doable so soon hope to start out homebased but i have plans on opening a store.
selling new and used military/police goods
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravo2824 wrote:
I currently work a job at a call centre doing tech support for the Road Runner internet service and i'm going nutz its not a job for me but its getting me the money to start my own biz.

My apology. I am one of those customers who call tech supports, managers, etc. frequently, complain about their performance and make tech supports, managers, etc. unhappy. I am not using Road Runner, but I use other IT services, I call them up and complain.
bravo2824
PA
PA

31 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foundThroughAdminSig wrote:
bravo2824 wrote:

My apology. I am one of those customers who call tech supports, managers, etc. frequently, complain about their performance and make tech supports, managers, etc. unhappy. I am not using Road Runner, but I use other IT services, I call them up and complain.

lol no problem got that many times, the service works but they decide to call and complain that there norton has expired etc, etc. i also had one guy call and go on about the spying issue with bush and 911 and so on, and that if u buy a burger from wendys that there not going to send agents to spy on ya and watch u eat it lol
we get some messed up calls
Scottie
PA
PA

25 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Love, Love, Love working from home! Reply with quote

Yes, I love working from home, but yes, I am now fat too. But that's cool, when I get motivated, I'll get rid of it again.

It's sometimes hard to stay motivated... other times it's hard to pull myself away. I've decided to stop fighting it and when I'm inspired I stay up all night if I need to and get things done. When I'm not in the mood, I pack up the kids and we go play.

By giving in to what motivates me and not forcing myself to stick to a schedule, I get more done in those bursts of energy than I do by sitting here and dreading whatever task is in front of me.

A huge boost to my motivation is getting out for lunch with colleagues a few times a month. I actually have to get dressed and look presentable and be somewhere on time, and usually explaining what I have going on to someone else reminds me of what I need to get done, or how close I am to finishing.

My friends are my lifeline! Getting out for lunch makes me feel like a new person.
cleve1
Temp

6 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post everyone..

Actually working from home has goit lots of pros which to me I think beat the cons..I once read a great artice on how to balance work and relationships and I wouid have loved to include the link here but I can't even rem them link itself. But try and google smt like.. "Mike +the work and love scale".. I will try to retrieve it and post the url if am lucky ..
KevinStiff
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspite of all that for me it's a no brainer
Learn The Right Way To Make Money From Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Working from Home Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum