AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[RESOLVED] *** Heads up - Server move, 2nd May 2008 ***

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> AardvarkBusiness.net Board Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: [RESOLVED] *** Heads up - Server move, 2nd May 2008 *** Reply with quote

Rewritten version - last updated 6:15pm 2nd May (UK time)

Update - server moved and no downtime or problems expected. See this post for full details (4th post down in this thread).

I've left the rest of this post in place for those who are curious...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's happening?

In essence we're switching our old Abi server for a new much quicker one for this site and lots of others, eg: www.ukhotel.com and www.ukattraction.com for starters.

When is is happening?

Updated: Looks like this isn't going to get done tonight (1st May) as I'm still copying other accounts, I'm starving and it takes me 45 mins to get home. So probably 2nd May now. Look out for the notice near this post for details.

How does this affect me?

The problem with moving servers is that all the Internet providers around the world who know about this site will think it's on the old server and take you there. However eventually they'll realise their mistake and send you to the new server.

The problem is, anything you post on the OLD server won't transfer. ie: if you post a new thread or reply, in a day or so it'll appear to vanish. Therefore we'll make a post in this forum to say you're on the new or old server.

If you're still seeing the note about the old one then it's a good idea either to hold off posting and hit CTRL + F5 when you enter this section, or keep a copy of anything you want to post so you can repost it to the new version. I wish there was an alternative, but it's too complicated to try to merge data.

Hopefully you'll see the new site very quickly, but essentially it's now out of out control.

Updated: I think I might have worked out a way to do this without the above problems by switching where the database is collected. It's not an absolute, but is fairly hopeful in which case you won't get posts disappearing. Will let you know tomorrow when it's due to move.

Until you see the notice at the top of this forum, anything posted WILL be moved to the new site regardless of any of the above so post away...

Trev

Last edited by trev on Fri May 02, 2008 6:20 pm; edited 10 times in total
MikeH
President
President

747 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains it. I came really old threads and thought - what the heck

I'll leave the forum alone for a while then.

Mike.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not managed to get it moved yet, but will be very soon. Actually think I've worked out a way for people to pottentially see the right version by editing "hosts" on peoples PCs, maybe even with a batch file to automate it.

Will see how easy that is to offer that.

Trev
MikeH
President
President

747 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev wrote:
Not managed to get it moved yet, but will be very soon. Actually think I've worked out a way for people to pottentially see the right version by editing "hosts" on peoples PCs, maybe even with a batch file to automate it.

Will see how easy that is to offer that.

Trev

All i read was 'blah. blah, blah'. I'm sure you know what you are doing but i leave all the techy stuff to someone else. Very Happy
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aardvark Moved - Everything Sorted

AardvarkBusiness is now on 85.92.86.138 as it's safer to give it a unique IP for any future work.

The good news is that it no longer matters which version you post on as the databases are sync'd and thus all posts will be kept. You don't need to worry about stuff like hosts files and all that hassle.

So feel free to post if you're bored over this bank holiday, or bored because you're not having a bank holiday depending on your country.

Trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> AardvarkBusiness.net Board Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum