AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Content thieves - is there anything that can be done?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Content thieves - is there anything that can be done? Reply with quote

I have just found that parts of one of our websites which we've been ploughing content into for the past 5 or 6 years is being copied across multiple different sites. Whilst we rank ahead of these sites, it's nevertheless a little annoying.

What concerns me somewhat is that we have a number of new sites where we are inputting vast amounts of content that could be copied in a similar way and, because those sites are new, I couldn't be quite as confident about getting ranked above any copycat versions. Is that a legitimate concern, and can anything be done to protect copyright?

Given that these other sites are invariably overseas, realistically there's probably little that can be done unless you want to go to great expense in terms of hassle, time and cost... no?

Paul
Alan
Executive PA
Executive PA

0 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the obvious legal routes. Its worth trying domain registrars and hosting companies of the offenders, many reputable ones will treat copyright infringement seriously.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Content thieves - is there anything that can be done? Reply with quote

paul wrote:
Given that these other sites are invariably overseas, realistically there's probably little that can be done unless you want to go to great expense in terms of hassle, time and cost... no?

Paul

In addition, judicious systems in quite a few countries (like India) are pretty dysfunctional, so you can't do much.
judycox
Secretary
Secretary

10 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: if you can't beat 'em, recruit 'em Reply with quote

As I see it, there are a couple of things you could try. First of all, you could try making the theft a bit more difficult by adding a "no right click" script to your pages. Images can be watermarked; you can include "odd" words in your articles to help you track unauthorized publication. You could also break down part of the content and require user to click an autoresponder for the rest--at least you would be able to collect email address from person "interested".

The other solution would be to quit fighting the use of your content and make it viral. Allow people to use your content, provided your contact info is present (like the resource box at the end of an article or your resources listed within the content).

Finally, you can recognize that anything they take you ALREADY did so you are AHEAD of them--as long as you keep on improving your content. You've already recognized that policing your *old* content is an exercise in futility--instead, use that time to create NEW content and you'll always be *ahead*.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...you could try making the theft a bit more difficult by adding a "no right click" script to your pages.

I really hate that. Sometimes I might want to copy a couple of sentences and provide a link to the original article so people can click through and read it on the site it came from. If right click isn't available, I just leave the site. It really annoys me.

I had a lot of stuff copied, mainly by kids on Yahoo! Answers. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had given a link to us. We wrote to Yahoo! and asked them to remove the stolen stuff. They made us jump through a lot of hoops, although they did remove it eventually. I don't think that was fair. (Yeah, I know, life ain't fair.) If I publish stolen content, then that's my responsibility as a publisher. But if Yahoo! users steal from me then for some reason it's my job to police Yahoo's site - they don't take responsibility as the publisher.

Apart from the moral issue it's pretty stupid to steal anyway. I've found that most people are happy if you want to use their content or images in exchange for a link back or a plug for their favourite cause. Make friends not enemies.
mantop
Secretary
Secretary

8 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi..nice info..just do it if u think good for u ..

<sig removed>
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone - lots of food for thought there. Normally I would hope that Google just 'works out' which is the original and possibly leave it at that, but when Google fails to figure it out, it is rather annoying.

(On a side note, I've just deleted around a dozen of mantop's posts - all rather similar to the one above - and he is making a quick exit via the ban list. Rolling Eyes )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum