AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is it that clients always know best?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Why is it that clients always know best? Reply with quote

Trying to advise a client that a .me.uk domain really isn't a good idea for a commercial website but they're having none of it... why is it that clients seek professional help if they already know best?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising how many clients you get like that. Don't forget Paul, the customer is always right Wink
nickora
Executive PA
Executive PA

79 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: just give in... Reply with quote

tell him he can save money even more if he gets a .cc! I totally know the frustration you ust feel, its the most simple of schoolboy errors about to be made, why does he think all the large companies are rushing out to get the .me? lol
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
...the customer is always right Wink

I dismissed that ol' chestnut a long, long time ago. Smile

The customer in question (it's a 'she') had a website done by us a few years ago. At around the same time, she was having problems with this other site - on a .me.uk domain - with another supplier. I forget the details but I notified her at the time that it was a poor choice of domain.

The answer that came back was that all the .com/.co.uk domains were taken. The website address has two keywords in it, and I suggested alternative ways in which these words could be used (albeit in a less succint way) as an available .com/.co.uk but those suggestions have all been dismissed in favour of this wretched .me.uk domain.

Now the client is cheesed off with the existing provider as the site is virus-ridden, has been down more times than a tart's knickers and has been out of favour with Google, so it's being moved across to us. We've had to do a lengthy tidy up due to virus inserting all manner of rogue links, as well convert it from .asp to .html, and I've re-iterated my views on the .me.uk domain but I'm getting the usual "it's already on our business cards" type of response. Old provider is being slow on releasing the domain (couple of weeks and counting) but sadly she's still insistent on using it...

Oh well. Mad
nickora
Executive PA
Executive PA

79 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: tought times Reply with quote

sounds like your getting a bit narked off about it, you could always tell her to get the .com, which will be infinitly better in the long run and 301 the old domain, then its fine that its on the business cards and next time she gets some printed they could just put the new domain on it.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unduly narked... I just don't especially like it when clients are wrong but insist otherwise when it's pointed out to them. Smile

The equivalent .com domain is taken, and would have been taken a long time ago. There are alternative .com and .co.uk domains possible, but they are a bit more wieldy (eg. require an extra word and/or hyphens in order to find something appropriate available) and are therefore dismissed by the client for that reason.

It's her choice, I guess.... Rolling Eyes
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't do any of this kind of stuff for other people, although we did do it years ago. The clients drove me round the bend and I just couldn't deal with it. Laughing

One guy had his business cards and stationery all done. This name was to be the basis of his new website - but he hadn't even registered the domain, and didn't know what that meant anyway! Luckily the domain was still available. Then, after we'd spent hours making a nice little site for him - and the only hold up was some content from him - he got someone he knew from a local pub to come in and "fix it all up" for him. Rolling Eyes

I vowed "never again" and we haven't done websites for other people since. It's too much hassle. You spend more time trying to tell them the what and the why of what has to be done rather than actually getting anything done.

As for a .me.uk Rolling Eyes
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, Kay. We primarily don't do websites, but focus instead on affiliate marketing. That said, if someone comes to us for a website, I find it hard to turn down. I don't like to have all my eggs in the affiliate marketing basket and doing websites brings in the short term cash rather than the longer term, continual trickle that you get from AM. I definitely prefer the latter though.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you don't want to keep all your eggs in one basket. It's important to diversify your income streams. I really wouldn't like to think what would happen to us if AdSense stopped tomorrow.

"Can you spare a copper, guv?"

(Actually, we do have one client left on the books. He's a plumber and we get along just fine. We don't tell him how to do plumbing and he doesn't tell us how to do websites. Very nice guy to deal with. We've advised updating to CSS and all that stuff but he wants to keep his old site because he likes it just the way it is - that's his choice.)
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this was a worry for me for quite a while but now we are far less reliant on AdSense than we used to be. It used to be our main income stream but now probably barely makes the top 5 in the pecking order.

More of a worry, in my opinion, is the other end of the equation. ie. not the income you get when you send traffic away from your site(s) but the potential loss of income if traffic coming into your site(s) dries up. I'm sure that, even if AdSense dried up tomorrow, you could soon substitute it with something else (albeit something that may or may not make as much). If your traffic from Google dried up on the other hand - and it was your main source of traffic - I would imagine it's less easy to suddenly get the visitors rushing by (unless you invest in something like PPC).

I have had one or two sites that have had rather heavy-handed Google penalties due to oversights on our part which have seen traffic dry up overnight. Even though the sites have been squeaky clean for about a year now, reconsideration requests seem futile.

As a result, I'd like to be less reliant on Google as a source of traffic. Our latest site relies more upon Twitter for its visitors and I'm hoping that this will further aid in us spreading risk.

Paul
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make some excellent points, Paul. Like many people, Google is our main source of traffic. I barely consider any other SEs when looking at keywords or SEO. Shocked

I just can't get my head around Twitter, but I've signed up to Nikki Pilkington's Tweet Mentor (I expect you know her from elsewhere), in the hope that I can make more use of it. The problem is that I just don't like Twitter. With Twitter, I just don't feel like you can engage with people. It's either you talking AT them, or they're talking AT you. I know that's not how it supposed to be, but that's how I find it.

I'm surprised to read that Google is so unresponsive to you. They've always been fine with me up till now. I'll definitely take on board what you've said, though, and will try to take a different direction for my newish Not Delia site.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never gave the other SEs a second thought prior to facing the wrath of Google. I'm not even sure I pay them much attention now. But now with our own sites I pay little attention to Google also. Nowadays I try to focus on creating websites that are useful to the end user, be it through the content they provide and/or the way in which they provide that content. I'll still do much of the basics (keywords, some link building and various other promotional activities) but thereafter I'm just working on the assumption that if the site in question is useful, everything else ought to just fall into place. Maybe that's a little naiive. Smile

Paul
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, build it and they will come? I dunno. But it depends on what other resources you have available to you to publicise your projects.

Having a big forum helps. You can tell all your members about your new site. Forum sigs, blog commenting, joining interest groups, etc - it all helps. But without even going to look at the latest stats, I'd put money on it that G is sending us the most traffic. They have so much power, but I for one won't bite the hand that feeds me.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
Hmmm, build it and they will come? I dunno. But it depends on what other resources you have available to you to publicise your projects.

Yes, I guess we are in the privileged position of having other, established sites. New sites that we launch can have the advantage of riding on the back of some of those projects. I am not saying 'zero promotion' - but at the same time I'm not going to over obsess on SEO. We'll do the basics and thereafter we'll focus on getting the right content on the sites.

Kay wrote:
Having a big forum helps. You can tell all your members about your new site. Forum sigs, blog commenting, joining interest groups, etc - it all helps. But without even going to look at the latest stats, I'd put money on it that G is sending us the most traffic. They have so much power, but I for one won't bite the hand that feeds me.

Yes, but you don't need to worry unduly about being Google friendly IMO. If you're site is such that people will want to link to you naturally, then Google will fall into place on top of that (and it might just so happen to be your number 1 referrer too). Smile

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum