AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Network Attached Storage (NAS) suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Network Attached Storage (NAS) suggestions? Reply with quote

Having to look for a NAS solution in our office currently as we're forever running out of disk space and it seems to make sense having something a bit more central, but there are so many of the darned things out there I'm getting lost...!

We've only got 4 computers (not all running all the time), but need lots of space for backups from web sites some of which can be a few hundred megs a time. So was looking at NAS drives around the 300 - 500 mark.

Seems you can get a few that have interchangeable disks (much easier if one gives up) and RAID 1 or 5, but it'd be really nice if we could also access it from outside the office. Quite a few do FTP servers and some form of web based remote connection, although not found one that will let me work on the system as if I was sitting in front of it. Guess that's what VPN's are for and really not sure if that'd work here.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of such systems without spending 2000 on one. Smile

Must have Gigabit ethernet connection, although wireless not a requirement and ideally user swappable disks. Hotswapping not a major issue.

Trev
businessminder
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used many NAS systems before.

My only suggestion would be to buy a NAS system that has built-in OS with at least 512MB memory for the OS and Gigabit Ethernet.

You need a NAS that acts pretty much like a computer pre-programmed to do file sharing via various mediums such as Ethernet, Wireless, Web, File Transfer Protocol...etc. The NAS will have a CPU, Memory...etc.

I've tried many different NAS systems without OS and on-board memory (they are cheaper by the way), and all of them had poor performance.

My 2c.
thesarasmile
Secretary
Secretary

21 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know you're going to be sticking with a smaller number of computers then just get two household NAS's. Yes the performance won't be as good as an NAS server but an NAS server requires administration at times and if things go wrong. NAS household appliances are cheap - get two, one for your website backups, and one for your office files. If this setup works well for your office you just replace the website backup NAS (or just the drive in it) whenever it fills up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum