AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business Mentors?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! That was a bit below the belt, Adi. But you're probably right. Laughing

Next time I debate with you about branding I'll be armed with Kotler, so watch out! Twisted Evil
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Paul's jousting smily when you need it? Laughing
Gaddon
Executive PA
Executive PA

91 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK if you are looking for business mentoring you could towards Business link and the local Chanber of Commerce. I have found both extremely helpful and the chamber also gives me the chance to meet with like minded folk who, due to different fields, can look at problems from another direction. Not oly that but once you have joined the chamber most of the support is free, or cheap.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard differing opinions about Chambers of Commerce, but some people seem to find them helpful.

I have to get my help from the Internet as I'm not often in the UK. Cool There's a heck of a lot online if you know where to look, and lots of helpful people around.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, Ian, what are you getting from Business Link or the Chamber that you couldn't do off your own bat?
Gaddon
Executive PA
Executive PA

91 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business link put me in touch with a chamber mentoring service when I started, all paid for by the government. They helped with getting funding, right insurance, understanding what I wanted out of being in business. The chamber has been great (Leeds and Sheffield chambers). They both have international sections that have helped me find links to overseas customers and advised me on methods of getting paid. I can't say I would not have found the same information on the Internet, but it was quicker just ringing up a contact and asking.
I work on the principle that if someone else will do work for me it leaves me time to do the paying work, half a day searching for information is half a day not being paid.
I think for many they don't use the chambers enough so don't see the benefit, and if the chamber does not get work for, say, the international advisor they will decide it is not worth paying for that advisor to be there.
A Chamber researcher is currently looking for possible customers for me in Australia, they don't do the contact but they are skilled in finding names and contact methods.
Like anything you get out what you put in and with Leeds and definitely Sheffield chambers being extremely proactive I'm happy to pay my dues every year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum