AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not Everyone Can Successfully Learn Through Online Courses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Not Everyone Can Successfully Learn Through Online Courses Reply with quote

Quote:
ScienceDaily (Feb. 28, 2008) — Since the 1990s, online courses have provided an opportunity for busy adults to continue their education by completing courses in the comfort of their own homes. However, this may not be the best solution for everyone. A researcher at the University of Missouri has found some students may find success in these types of courses more easily than others.

Shawna L. Strickland, clinical assistant professor in the MU School of Health Professions, studied the demographics and personality types of distance learners.

“Correlations between learning styles and success in distance education have shown to be inconclusive,” Strickland said. “However, one common theme reappears: the successful traits of a distance learner are similar to the successful traits of an adult learner in traditional educational settings.”

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080226113511.htm

I'm not surprised to learn this. A lot of people criticize the traditional face-to-face classroom education system, but this seems to work better than all other education systems at this time.
Billionbound
PA
PA

26 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: I must agree with you. Reply with quote

I don't necessarily use an online system but. Being personal really helps everything. On top of that I would have to say that personal contact makes a big difference. I beleive that is why social networking and web 2.0 are and will be #1 and are and will be for the rest of the .com boom.

So what do you think about that?

Joshua
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I must agree with you. Reply with quote

Billionbound wrote:
I don't necessarily use an online system but. Being personal really helps everything. On top of that I would have to say that personal contact makes a big difference. I beleive that is why social networking and web 2.0 are and will be #1 and are and will be for the rest of the .com boom.

So what do you think about that?

Joshua

Enabling human interactions is a key component, but I'm not so sure if, in near future, it'll get the point which most people can comfortably communicate with others online.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic to Facebook dropped in Britain last month. There's a significant difference between communication over the web and communication in person. It's estimated that around 80% of communication is done outside the words used, so writing on a screen misses out on all of that.
TrainingTime
Secretary
Secretary

29 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Traffic to Facebook dropped in Britain last month. There's a significant difference between communication over the web and communication in person. It's estimated that around 80% of communication is done outside the words used, so writing on a screen misses out on all of that.

However, many people are more comfortable speaking about certain things in such a venue.. It allows a person the ability to better edit themselves and present themselves in the manner they want to be perceived in by others..
Hui Ling
Secretary
Secretary

20 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Depending on your time? Reply with quote

Distance learning is good for those who needs a more flexible time to learn, however, one does need commitment in order to make it given that it lacks the day to day interaction with your course mates.

However, with the advance of IT, it will help improve greatly.
buddy
Temp

9 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that elearning will work to a certain degree. I believe that it is possible to learn at your own speed and without distraction, but likewise nderstand that your co-students might ask relevant and important questions in the classroom that you may not otherwise think to ask about. Hence, the human interaction is what is lacking with e-learning.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the distance learning course, and how it's delivered. Interaction is important but you can interact on the 'Net if your course is delivered well and there are responsive and helpful people only an email away. I've had success and failure with distance learning courses.

I succeeded with the one which was very rigorous, and strict about deadlines. They kept my nose to the grindstone. I eventually dropped out of the course which more or less let me faff about without any deadlines.
StarWAHF
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does depend on what courses your taking through distance learning. I personally had a rough semester this time around because of the lack of communication with my so called professor. You have to be dedicated in doing all the work yourself and dealing with some of these teachers who are not well at it.
buddy
Temp

9 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of distance learning. I feel that the way the current generation of youth is going, it will only be a matter of time before all education is done online and via computers. Even now, most classrooms use some form of IT, or electronic blackboard.

The era and days for hard copy paper are numbered. With the introduction of the new E-book portable readers which we are now seeing available to buy, (the manufacturers will just push out the product harder, and cheaper) the publishing housings seeing a much bigger profilt marging, and the next generation problably used to computers more than books, I think its only a matter of time!

Myself, I work with a company who is an electronic publisher of Finance and Accountancy text books for professional exams. tonysurridge.co.uk They work on the same basis, that the times will progress forward, so they publish all their materials electronically and cheaply!
Management Training FL
Secretary
Secretary

17 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the traditional face to face way of learning. The reason is whatever you are learning you will learn it better if your tutor is in front of you explaining.
Gaddon
Executive PA
Executive PA

91 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From both sides of the desk I have enjoyed distance learning, many Open University courses and the odd trade course, but even there the use of tutorials to keep you on track is important.
As an Instructor I think it depends on the subject and techniques, basic office security can be easily taught in a general computer based lesson, however how to use complex equipment or techniques, like fault finding in electronics, benefits from a tutor being able to adjust the course on a minute by minute basis to match the students needs. From my own company we offer tutor led courses mainly due to customer requests and finding it easier to structure complex ideas e.g. RF engineering, into tutor sessions than into a computer based course. Think of trying to read a textbook, some subjects’ come fairly easily, others you get lost at the first TLA (Three letter Acronym).
Basically I'm happy there are many different solutions, it's finding the one that suits you and the subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum