AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work as a writer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Working from Home Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Work as a writer Reply with quote

I'm signed up to a group which send its members emails with info about writing jobs which pay.

I got one today, suggesting that people could write articles for a guy's website on an "entrepreneurial" rather than a fee basis. The general idea is that you write the articles for his site and you can include up to three affiliate links. Thus your financial reward is the commissions you earn from your aff. links on his site.

I kinda wondered whether this was a good deal or not. I think there are pros and cons depending on your own circumstances.

My first thought was why write for his site when I could do the same articles for one of my own. There again, some people might not have their own website and not know how to build and promote one, so it could be a good deal for them. Also, you could benefit from his existing traffic rather than starting from scratch yourself.

All in all, I think it could be quite a good deal for someone who's purely a writer rather than a website owner. There again, you have to know a bit about Internet business or you wouldn't have aff. links to use in the first place.

I expect none of us would jump at this job opportunity, but would you use the same tactic on your own sites?

Another thing is that the opportunity was presented as being a brand new idea, but after all isn't it just another take on guest blogging?
Smooth
Executive
Executive

204 ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good if it's a top site in its niche with very large traffic volumes and you write a good-fit article that will convert visitors well.

However, well known UGC (User Generated Content) sites earn most of their authors a pittance. And these are people who have access to their articles to tweak, revise, update and change links.

I do use a similar tactic on a couple of my authority sites. If someone provides an exceptionally high quality article, I'll publish it and give them a link back. Considering a text link is worth over $1,000 a year on those sites, it's pretty good value for the author to get a "permanent" link.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll happily publish high quality guest blogs on Not Delia and would expect to give a link back to the author's site. But I wouldn't offer such a thing as an "entrepreneurial" opportunity. The only aff. links going on my site are my aff. links. Laughing

Coincidentally, someone contacted me yesterday asking if I'd be interested in receiving a guest blog posting from him. I had a look at his blog and was very impressed as it's excellent. Better still, he's on the same soap box as me on several issues. I jumped at the chance.

I like the idea of guest blogging. I think it creates a win-win situation.

I badgered Paul into letting me do one for A Luxury Travel Blog. I enjoyed doing it and found it to be worthwhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Working from Home Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum