AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How young is too young to start managing talent?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: How young is too young to start managing talent? Reply with quote

I was slightly taken aback by news this morning of government plans to start providing careers advice to children as young as seven years old. Schools Secretary Ed Balls, said school children would receive mentoring from older students, successful business people plus careers advice via Facebook, YouTube and blogs.

Such early talent spotting is common in other areas, particularly in the sporting world where youngsters are plucked into youth academies at a very young age. Indeed Manchester United made headlines in 2007 for recruiting a nine year old Australian boy into their youth academy.

So how soon should companies start identifying talented youngsters? Should they follow the example set in the sporting world?
seanstevens
Secretary
Secretary

19 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think this is too early and could potentially put undue pressure on kids. A lot if not most kids don't start to really develop their skills until they are older. I would not like my son (currently 6) to go through this and would prefer for him to develop naturally. If he is interested in something he will ask and then we can have a discussion.

I would however, love to see kids get more practical advice on managing cash and the like so that even at an early age there is a better understanding of this to avoid some potential debt problems when older.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanstevens wrote:
I would however, love to see kids get more practical advice on managing cash and the like so that even at an early age there is a better understanding of this to avoid some potential debt problems when older.

I agree that teaching money skills is important, but isn't this a job for the parents rather than schools?
seanstevens
Secretary
Secretary

19 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, without question parents should begin teaching kids about money early, but if it can be reinforced at school then it can only do some good for the future generations.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about kids (don't have any), but I'd have thought ideally the parents would do it. But there might be a lot of cases where the parents can't do it because they don't know how to themselves.

Same as cooking, you could argue that this should be taught at home. Yet there's a need to teach basic cooking in schools because many parents aren't able to do it themselves. I guess if you look at schools as being educational establishments, then they're there to teach life skills (sex education, cooking, money management, woodwork, etc) as well as the more academic subjects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum