AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Having an office (with staff) at home (UK)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Having an office (with staff) at home (UK) Reply with quote

A few years back I was speaking with our accountant and he advised very strongly against having your main company office within the grounds of your personal home. I didn't really question it at the time but I assumed it led to complications with tax or somesuch. Whatever it was, it wasn't just a "you need to have two distinct places so you can unwind and leave work behind" kind of comment. It was as if led to legal or financial complications that were best avoided.

It's kind of bugged me since... anyone know what the problem(s) would be?
Gaddon
Executive PA
Executive PA

91 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same advice, it comes down to who the staff is. If it is your wife there is no problem, but for anyone else you then need emplyer liability, change the council Tax rating, security, access, fire regulations et al. The way around was to have an office above a detached garage that had it's own entrance, or as I did go to the local chamber and have a small office in their buiding at a cheap rent.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. You mention a detached garage with an office above it. Is this less problematic because it is a separate building? From my conversation with the accountant, I came away with the impression that even if you owned a house with grounds that had an outbuilding that you could use as an office, then it still wasn't a good idea... possibly for some of the reasons you mention.
Gaddon
Executive PA
Executive PA

91 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is one of those sticky legal items that depends on how your local council looks at things. and will vary from area to area. I know I looked into it and now rent a small serviced office to try and keep things simple. I will admit it easier for me as most of my actual work running RF courses is done either on the customers site or in hotels, I haven't really looked at what I would need to do training on site with parking, customers visiting, food etc.
One of my collegues has gotten around the requirements by having all his staff home workers and doing a the majority work via the internet. However he is a software design company so that is most probably the best for his work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum