AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you run your life like you run your company?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Do you run your life like you run your company? Reply with quote

There was an interesting piece in Only the Paranoid Survive whereby Andy Grove compared each of us to a business. He suggests that we should treat ourselves like sole traders, competing against others in our industry to get the right jobs etc.

What do you think of the analogy?
Techboy
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct - it's all about personal branding, getting a good name for yourself and being better that your colleagues. Why watch others around you get promotions and better opportunities?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the analogy, but I've also found that co-operation can work just as well, if not better, than competing.

I tend not to compete very much. At least I don't think I do. Confused

I'm in the same niches as lots of my friends, but it's not a problem for me. I think I concentrate more on differentiation.

Being better is great, of course, but you've also got to offer something different. No?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing isn't it? It's not possible to isolate oneself so cooperation is essential, but equally you have to find your own space in the marketplace and offer value in someway.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey! It's only the 5th of January and Adi and I have agreed about something already. Laughing

Yeah, offer something a little bit different and add value. That's the way to go.

Unique content is maybe the best. Your own writing, photos, and opinions. No one is doing the same. (Except for the scraper sites that steal your content. Evil or Very Mad )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum