AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is entrepreneurship genetic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Starting a Business Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Is entrepreneurship genetic? Reply with quote

Studies indicate some people may be genetically predisposed to entrepreneurial tendencies.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/startingabusiness/startupbasics/article205860.html

Interesting idea.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's interesting but I wasn't very convinced by the suggestion of genetic predisposition in this context. It's back to the old nature/nurture debate with a bit of who-you-know thrown in.
Spiderhousepr
Executive PA
Executive PA

82 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: entrepreneur Reply with quote

awww I love this...yes please let my parents have passed down their entreprenuerial genes thankyou!!!

I do believe in that old chestnut about nuturing a child to become anything they want. Especially nuturing their creativity. I believe as adults, we stunt our creativity all the time. If someone gave you a pencil and paper and said draw....would you question it, or let you imagination take over.

Its an interesting discussion!
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yes please let my parents have passed down their entrepreneurial genes thankyou

So have they...? If so, nice to meet you and erm, well ok, you probably won't remember me when you're the next Richard Branson. Very Happy

With regards this study, I'm not totally sure it can be claimed that it's down purely to DNA as it's working on the idea of genetically identical twins but doesn't seem to take into account lots of other life factors such as:

- Did the parents try to influence them to be individuals, eg: not dressing them the same.
- How much of your personality and ideas is genetically controlled (age old debate).
- Did the twins have the same friends at school as they can affect life choices.
- Did say one go into business and the other into being an artist?

There's a massive amount of stuff they've not considered here going by what's written so it is very much down to the nature vs nurture debate.

One thing they did pickup on however was brain chemistry. It's well known that for example people who are thrill seekers tend to need very high levels of the dopermine and similar "happiness" chemicals to satisfy them. Thus since most entrepreneurs are by nature thrill seekers and risk takers it would seem this could be a big factor.

In theory the twins having the same DNA might have the same brain chemistry, but I seriously doubt that's the case in which case one needing more dopermine than the other might be down to other factors other than DNA.

Like anything, it maybe gives you more of a chance to be that, but growing up is what will actually make the difference. Life experience is the key to pretty much everything you do.

Trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Starting a Business Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum