AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tweet for the President
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this kind of stuff rife in all walks of life?

Someone posting with the username 'SEO Expert' might not be an expert at all.

When we read an article in a newspaper, it's easy to think that a journalist has written it but invariably it will have just been copied and pasted from a press release.

Edith Nesbitt - author of the classics such as 'The Railway Children' - published under the name E. Nesbitt wanting people to believe she was 'Ernest' and not 'Edith' because male authors were given more credence at the time.

Testimonials on websites are often only there because the company in question has asked their clients to write them and sometimes these clients are friends or relatives of theirs.

Businesses give the illusion that they have prestigious addresses when all it is a postbox.

Hell, what about Jordan... did you know her real name is in fact apparently Katie Price and not Jordan afterall? Rolling Eyes

I think you just have to take things with a pinch of salt and not believe everything you see or hear.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different issues for me. I mean we had a big thread on here not so long ago about people copying your content and passing it off as their own, and the general consensus was that this was a bad thing. They're taking other peoples work and saying its their own.

That is essentially what Obama et al are doing and it's wrong.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...but it would be odd for someone to achieve a position of prominence without being able to write well,

George W. Bush for example? He couldn't even manage to speak the words other people (presumably) had written for him. Rolling Eyes

Content theft is where someone steals your work in an attempt to gain from that theft. That's not at all the same thing as paying someone to represent you.
Dave McM
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Kay says, commissioning someone to write something in your name is altogether different from stealing something that someone's written and passing it off as your own.

Besides, as I said earlier, when you commission a piece from a speechwriter you typically then tailor it to put it into your own words and to reflect your own thought processes more faithfully.

Initially, I was quite indignant when a draft I'd put a lot of work into came back with extensive reworking - but I soon realised that the best way to avoid that was to recognise the personal style of whoever it was I was writing for and to mimic it as best I could. Since initially I was working for a Tory administration (not Thatcher's, thank goodness), from time to time I had to talk up policies and measures I personally loathed. As indeed I had to do after 1997 as well.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see, so as long as you pay the other person to cheat for you then its ok Wink
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was an American citizen, I think I'd be pretty cheesed off it the President was wasting his time with Twitter. On the contrary, I'd expect someone to be doing that for him so he can attend to more important matters.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah I see, so as long as you pay the other person to cheat for you then its ok

No, no no. Stealing and cheating are not OK. Employing someone to do a legitimate and legal piece of work for you is OK.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you all know that astroturfing is now illegal in Britain - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7287413.stm - so if companies pretending to be someone they're not is illegal, why is it legal for someone pretending to be Obama?
Dave McM
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same thing, Adi.

In the first instance, you've got someone employed by a company pretending to be someone who isn't connected with the company at all. That's out-and-out fraud.

In the second, you've got someone employed by a person writing things on that person's behalf in accordance with the person's thoughts and style, and with that person's prior approval. And if a third party isn't happy with what's been written, then the employer is accountable for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum