AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red tape costs 80bn a year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Red tape costs 80bn a year Reply with quote

The cost to business of Government regulation was running at more than 80 billion a year, according to a "startling" new report.

The Institute of Directors (IoD) urged the Government to "step out of the way" of industry, warning that a culture change was needed to release firms from being "over burdened".

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jKIPqVSrqjHDSsNBLUJjYm2Amzpw

I must say this kind of thing bugs me. As long as all red tape is bundled together like this it will get ignored. Why not name and shame the red most serious red tape offenders and really try to get it scrapped?
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the thing - what they usually want is for all forms etc to be removed and presumably regulation and thus why not just let us get on with it and do exactly what we want....erm....banks spring to mind? Smile

Plus where on earth do they get these figures from!? Not sure what the GDP of the UK is, but 80 billion sounds like a figure someone plucked out of the air or someone was trying to work out how much money they'd save is no one earning over 50K paid tax.

Red tape does exist, but they really need to wake up and realise it affects everyone and not just "business leaders" otherwise they're going to become more and more of an irrelevance and no one is going to take a blind bit of notice of what they say....assuming anyone actually does.

Trev
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is suitably vague isn't it? I think there are an awful lot of things that are done to adhere to guidelines rather than using common sense, but unless you actually highlight individual things then it'll never change.

Red tape as a whole isn't going to vanish overnight so referring to it as a generic doesn't seem very useful or constructive.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the numbers are just nuts like:

"When the regulatory burden is so large that it typically occupies one employee in every private enterprise in the UK for nearly half a year..."

Err...so basically this is the same for a corner shop as it is for say ICI? Me thinks they might be getting a little over dramatic here or forgetting that smaller businesses exist. Yeah there's plenty of it and a lot doesn't need to be done, but as you say it needs specifically targeting.

Things like tax regulations could do with being simplified but not sure most businesses really have that much regulation to worry about and form filling. Plus they claim this is harming jobs, but erm, if we didn't have this wouldn't there be 1 less person in every company due to them being needed to fill in paperwork? Smile

Trouble is it's the The Institute of Directors so basically dealing with the big companies and such more than anyone else.

Trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum