AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the glass ceiling a myth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Is the glass ceiling a myth? Reply with quote

A new report suggests that the supposed glass ceiling stopping women from reaching the top jobs is a myth and the real reason for their lack of progress is a lack of boardroom experience, confidence in their abilities and other reasons.

http://blog.managers.org.uk/post/Lack-of-skills-stopping-women-reaching-the-boardroom-2081.aspx
SheInspires
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there's a glass ceiling.

Some of us get bored of breaking through it so we simply become the boss ourselves and do a great job of it.

Advertise in our Women's Magazine online.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheInspires wrote:
No, there's a glass ceiling.

Some of us get bored of breaking through it so we simply become the boss ourselves and do a great job of it.

Which part of the article did you disagree with?
SheInspires
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought your question was is the glass ceiling a myth?

No, it's not a myth. It's real.

Why would that be saying I'm disagreeing with the points made in the article? I have a different experience to those discussed in the article so I can't comment on them. I do know that there are plenty of glass ceilings around. As I would suspect, you do too.

adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for a discussion on the reasons mentioned in the study. Things like a lack of boardroom experience, a lack of confidence to push hard for that top job etc.

The article is based on actual research, ie stuff with evidence, all I was asking for was evidence from you to support your point of view Smile
SheInspires
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought from the only question you asked you were simply stirring to get a reaction.

Personally I haven't done any research so I can't comment with "evidence". Nor do I know the quality of their research to know if their assumptions are accurate. I have learnt how to look at research with an inquisitive mind, not with blind acceptance nor blind disbelief.

From my experience in the corporate world I was able to advance to a certain level based on my ability to deliver. I came to see that to go higher would mean playing corporate politics and many of the antics I saw 'ambitious' men displaying were demeaning and immature.

I was just as tough as the men, no worries there, my gender has no bearing on my ability to be strong or tough. I just didn't like what I saw as the means to advancement in the political games. I would never allow such a culture to develop in my own businesses.

I chose to make my own business from scratch rather than play their games. From the other women in business I know this is a fairly common choice. There's solid growth in women having their own businesses and banks are tending to prefer to lend to women because they're a better bet - no, I don't have a link to have to "prove" this but if you go to the ABC.net.au website I'm sure you'll find the news story from early this month - so maybe women are choosing to do it better themselves than play politics?

As for confidence, I couldn't comment on others. I've always been confident. I got paid very well for doing a very good job in a professional and emotionally intelligent manner. That has nothing to do with gender either. That has much more to do with being secure within yourself.

As for evidence for my belief that a glass ceiling exists based on my personal experience then that comes down to you deciding whether you believe me or not. Just like whether you believe a report or not.

I would suggest though, if you want to be taken seriously with a discussion then put more content in your post to get the discussion going, don't rely on a question in a headline because it is very easy to let others think what ever they will of you. Instead, you can direct discussion and thoughts with more content in the opening post.

All the best,
Belinda

adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no fixed view on the subject, I came across this research and thought it might make an interesting start point for a discussion. As you've stated your immovable opinion on the subject I guess that's the end of that Very Happy
SheInspires
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a very short reply on your part.

My experience hasn't changed about glass ceilings so my opinion would remain the same. I am, however, able to have conversations.

Enjoy your day.

annstar
Executive PA
Executive PA

79 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only point i feel i would agree with in that article is the fact that this i a 'chicken and egg' situation, no expereince, yet we cant get expereince, no confidence, yet without the expereince you cant gain confidence.

Whether there is a glass ceiling as such or not it seems like there is always thought to be something in the way.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a talk this morning about volunteering and the many opportunities that presents to gain non-executive experience, and therefore be more attractive for board level recruitment. Guess that would apply to both genders.
annstar
Executive PA
Executive PA

79 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i agree, there is always oppourtunity, hence why i said there is always 'thought' to be something in the way.

Whether it be the glass ceiling, the points put across in the article, or even the individuals own problesm - in my belief there is always a way around it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum