AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should this be allowed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Should this be allowed? Reply with quote

Bristol City Council is facing criticism after the two-year graduate placement, worth 18,000, was offered only to ethnic minorities.

The council - the city's largest employer - said the process was legal and is addressing an imbalance in the ethnic mix of its workforce.

Source
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of positive discrimination in any way. IMO the prize should have gone to the most deserving person, rather than to only ethnic minorities.

Also it's likely to exacerbate racial tensions. There are already enough people complaining that ethnic groups already get all sorts of benefits and privileges that they themselves don't get.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest - really really really stupid idea by the council...!

When I go south of about Manchester it's surprising the difference in attitudes people have towards ethnic minorities and even people from various Euro countries and most of it is caused by at least the feeling that their not getting a fair deal from the various authorities - whether or not it's actually true.

There should be a free and fair system, but not one that tries to turn things around by saying "only X people can have this job". If they said "only persons who's ancestors have been here for more than 300 years can have this job" they'd be in court in a flash....especially when many of the non-ethnic majorities discovered they don't qualify.

When will these people actually get their heads screwed on and come into the real world instead of living in one of statistics and policies.

Trev
AdvertisingGuerrilla
Executive
Executive

156 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Should this be allowed? Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Bristol City Council is facing criticism after the two-year graduate placement, worth 18,000, was offered only to ethnic minorities.

The council - the city's largest employer - said the process was legal and is addressing an imbalance in the ethnic mix of its workforce.

Source

They really don't live in the real world do they. How such a practice could be legal is beyond me. I was under the impression that under employment law you could not openly exclude any group from employment.

They really should take another look at the (racist) 'ethnic mix workforce' policy.

There are far more ethically responsible ways they could have gone about re balancing the ethnic mix of its workforce, including choosing very carefully where the job was advertised, however such a subtle and effective technique is clearly far beyond the capabilities of the common council worker.

The idea that an employer has too many of one kind of people is racist in its self. There should be no identification of race, age or gender in employing a person.

Spot on Trev, they do live in the world of politics, where peoples lives are quantified into statistics.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I should have also included gender, and probably age, in my reply about so-called "positive discrimination".

As a woman, I will either get a job on my own merits - or I won't. I don't want any job, contract, or work because I am a woman. I don't want to be insulted in that way. And to me, it would be an insult - unless it's something sensitive where you really need a specific gender for a particular job. (I'm thinking about being in the Middle East, where in addition to my usual job, I was often the only one in the team who could go "behind the curtain"" and talk to the women.) There should be no need for that in Britain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum