AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheel clamping in the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Wheel clamping in the UK Reply with quote

At my workplace we have persistent problems with people parking on our land despite there being a sign that says "STRICTLY NO PARKING", a bit of blurb about us having a clamp, and another bold statement saying "PENALTY 50". Despite this, people still abuse the situation particularly at weekends when they don't think we're working (the sign clearly states "NO PARKING at any time" yet that still doesn't put them off.

I do clamp people (when I can be bothered) but it is invariably an awful lot of hassle. The people return and give us an earful. I've had everything from people threatening to remove the clamp by force and sueing me for any damage to the car, to the usual sob stories... Rolling Eyes

Most of the time it's more hassle that it's worth, but for me it's the principle of it all, plus the inconvenience that it often causes us. Are there other methods that I could adopt that would be more hassle free, do you think? Am I within my rights doing what I currently do? I understand that, by having the sign there (clearly displayed), that I may carry out my threat of clamping any offending vehicles but that it is a civil matter and so the police won't get involved (unless I am the victim of threatening behaviour from the person I clamp)... should I just continue as I do at present, or are there better methods of addressing the problem?

Paul
Gail
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately for you it sounds like your having a hell of a time with the illegal parking problems at you place of work. I have only just found this thread and can only hope that you have it linked to your e-mail.

I run a security company and would like to try and help if I can, either with advice or our services (dependent on your location).

Regards

Gail
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gail

What is it that you do? I'm based in the north (South Cumbria to be a little more precise).

Paul
carolblake1973
Secretary
Secretary

11 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outsource it then you can say it not your problem and you can do nothing about it. People will be less aggressive then because they know they can do nothing to influence the decision by shouting at you.
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, pass the contract on to a company of Bailiffs who will relish the thought of a split in income.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting developments in the news today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10993473

In short, it's going to be illegal for you to clamp a vehicle parked on private land, or to tow it away.

I'm all for stopping the malicious clampers that abuse their position. You know the ones, they clamp you and charge 2,000 whilst you'd just gone to the newsagents to get some change for the parking meter.

But what about the honest, responsible land owner who simply wants to protect what he or she owns? Surely it's not right that someone can just park on his or her land and there be nothing that can be done about it?

It doesn't strike me as though this has been properly thought through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum