AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you too scared to change career?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Are you too scared to change career? Reply with quote

Three-quarters of UK workers would swap careers if they could but are too afraid to make the change, according to research by the Careers Advice Service.

How viable is changing careers as you age?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of it will depend on job security and the need to pay the bills. Lots of people say they'd like to do something else, but they don't have the means or the guts to do it. They'll just stay in the same old job, doing the same old thing, and then say that they'd like to do something else.

If people want to do something else then they should seize the opportunities - or forget it.
jonicode
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you too scared to change career? Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Three-quarters of UK workers would swap careers if they could but are too afraid to make the change, according to research by the Careers Advice Service.

How viable is changing careers as you age?

Well, can't blame them for not wanting to part with their beloved jobs. But I have always admired the boldness of people who are willing to give up their cozy, mediocre jobs and do something new and innovative.
Employment King
Secretary
Secretary

18 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Are you too scared to change career? Reply with quote

On average people change companies every 3 years (long gone are the a job for life companies) People often change companies for promotion opportunities and a large amount of people want a change, as they are not enjoying their current job.

If you don’t enjoy your current job, you need to ask “do I not enjoy the company/team I work for?” or “the job duties?” If your bored with your current job duties you need to look for a new career-many people will become bored with their current job role only to apply for the same job in a different company and then quickly become bored again, this can be a visas circle.

This is because a large amount of us are scared of rejection and will not go for a new careers as they don’t want to be told they cant do it-You need to look at the possibilities and how it would feel to have a job you would enjoy, a career that you enjoy getting up for. If you get turn down at an interview look at this as a learning opportunity? How can I improve my application or interview? What did I do well? By re-framing you are more likely to look at new opportunities and try new things.

If you were happy at work, you wouldn’t be thinking about leaving. If your looking at job adverts and new careers, then you already know something is missing from your current role (you may want more responsibility with your current employer who you are happy working for-not a new job)

<advert deleted - please don't try to get a sig in the body of your posting.>
VolcomStone54
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

Thanks for that detailes that ive read,
Ive know lot of things about this forum.
thanks guys for sharing ideas,
Have a Good Day,
Alison Jones
Executive PA
Executive PA

81 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my career at 28, and it seems to be working out thus far Wink
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were only 21 Alison? Razz
Alison Jones
Executive PA
Executive PA

81 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
I thought you were only 21 Alison? Razz

Wink Cheeky!

I still get asked for my ID though Laughing
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an awful lot of the problem with changing jobs is simply - how do you pay the bills while you're doing the training? OK, you can change some jobs every 6 months if you wanted to, but most worth changing for are going to either need on the job (aka low paid) or external training.

There used to be training schemes that would pay reasonably well for this kindof thing, but they've disappeared or they're aimed at "under 21's" and such, aka. a good way to reduce the unemployment numbers.

Changing jobs every 3 years - that'd be scary!

As for ID - when you get to 31 and they want ID for headache pills (age limit 16+) then you've gotta worry....but I see Adi's on form with the charm. lol

Trev
ChanceKirklin
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is to become an entrepreneur. Make your own money instead of relying on getting paid by someone else.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know exactly what's the difference between self-employed, business owner and entrepreneur?

As for doing any of the above, there's still the problem of finding enough money to actually live before you start making enough to be able to pay your rent or whatever. Maybe part time works for that to a degree, but would love to know how some people do it and have most of those who did had help from family / friends to get going?

Trev - still trying to find his niche multi-billion $ undiscovered market... Smile
joyceison
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Change of career or change of location? Reply with quote

The general discussion here is about changing career. However, there is always the option to stick at what you love and change location instead. It can be just as much of a challenge to try the same role in a completely new location. You might even find that your job role will change significantly depending on where you work.

One location you should consider is Scotland. There are some great Cities to choose from, each offering a slightly different atmosphere.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean switch to another site if the company has multiple bases or changing company but staying with the same essential job?

Trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum