AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did anyone buy any .co domains?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Did anyone buy any .co domains? Reply with quote

There's still a lot of discussion going on about whether or not these will turn out to have value in the future. I think they will because the .co says "company" to me. A lot of people think they're naff because it actually means "Colombia".

Well, I think .biz and .info are mostly naff, so each to their own. Twisted Evil

I took a punt and managed to get expat.co (now redirected to my expat site). I don't need this domain, I bought it for the sole purpose of selling it on in the future. I don't mind sitting on it for a while to see how it goes.

Did anyone else buy any? Any opinions on .co s.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy any.

Sorry, I think they're a bit naff myself. Smile
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually only buy .com and .co.uk but I kinda like the .co. Time will tell.

I got a heap of free .infos years ago and gave them all away because I thought they were naff. But there is a market for them now so perhaps I was wrong. Don't care, got too many other things to do anyway.

The worst thing about the .co s is that they're so much more expensive than other domains such as .co.uk.

I still believe that .co will be worth something. Let's revisit this thread in a couple of year's time and see how things worked out. Cool
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mostly just got .com, co.uk and .net

Have a handful of .uk.com's (place names mostly, but they're a bit expensive).

Do have a couple of .info's and one .me.uk (paul.me.uk, naturally Cool )

Paul
Alison Jones
Executive PA
Executive PA

81 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think this is just another way to push more money into the online world... I would not be purchasing a .co unless the .co.uk/.com/.net etc were all gone Wink
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, Alison. If the .com and all the best ones are gone, then why not get a .co?

There must be some interest in these as nearly all the generics I could think of were already gone.

What we need to ask ourselves is whether the interest is from people who buy and sell domains or those who might actually want such a domain (end users).
Alison Jones
Executive PA
Executive PA

81 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think that as long as your website domain is relevant and not too long... it doesn't really matter what it is now. It is not often people search for 'Website Warehouse' as oppoed to 'Web design company'. I believe if you manage your seo and marketing correctly then your website will be clicked on, no matter what the name.

However, I always give my client what they want, so if they really want 'ABC.xxx then I will find that name, regardles of the url designation.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really interested in domains and domaining so I'm not sure why a professional such as yourself would have an .org.uk - I'd never have even thought about buying such a thing,

Is an .org.uk good for a business?
Alison Jones
Executive PA
Executive PA

81 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the truth is, I am pretty sure that when my parter set up the product, all the other options were gone. I was very excited the other day, as for the first time, we finally came above the .com site with the same name on google. But the next day we went down again Sad

Win some, loose some.

I think it can be better to have the 'uk' in the domain somewhere, rather than .net. This means to many internet users that we are a UK company. Although we all know that this does not necessarily run true.

Our main business is actually www.bstech.co.uk but out main product brand is Website Warehouse. So I guess the .co.uk was important for our main company name.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the UK being good if you're aiming for the UK market. I have several domains where I have both .com and .co.uk. I'll put the site onto .co.uk and redirect the .com to it. Not Delia is an example of that.

I wouldn't buy a .net or .org but you're probably right, maybe it doesn't matter and the SEO is more important.

Also, I would be happy to sell most of my domains and websites, there are very few which interest me. They're just Internet real estate as far as I'm concerned.
bizzybee1
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about this. There was high hopes for the .co TLD...but then, no one really wanted it, so it pretty much slipped into obscurity
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if some of the lack of interest might be the price. You can pick up a co.uk for what - 2.50? And the .co costs a lot more.

This raises the question for me about who might buy the domains, Domain speculators perhaps? But if you can put dozens of co.uk domains into your 'portfolio' or one .co I think the barriers to entry have been raised and you'll maybe not see such a speculative market activity. The people who'll succeed with these will either be people who can develop them well or those who understand the end-user market. (Not me yet! Cool )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum