AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can big business solve unemployment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Can big business solve unemployment? Reply with quote

David Cameron is due to meet business leaders to discuss plans to create thousands of new jobs.

The Prime Minister will meet with bosses of some of the UK's biggest firms including John Lewis, Microsoft and all the major supermarkets, to look at what more the government can do to create jobs in the private sector.

But Labour leader Ed Mr Miliband is due to use a press conference later, to accuse the PM of undermining many jobless youngsters' life chances by ending Labour's 1bn Future Jobs Fund initiative a year early.

The government is also said to be considering ways to make the labour market more flexible, including making it easier for small firms to hire and fire staff.

How can the jobs market be stimulated?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can the jobs market be stimulated?

That sounds like a particularly nasty question to be faced with in an economics exam.

Well, you could stimulate more demand for products and services. But, people need money to pay for their increased demands, and there's the credit crunch. Confused

I suppose you could provide more services by increasing taxation. But a lot of rich people will become non-resident or even non-doms to avoid such tax.

It all comes down to money, doesn't it, and where is that money going to come from?

It's a really tough one and I can't see any obvious answer.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose they could relax export restrictions to stimulate demand for British goods abroad?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now we're looking for a wealthy country with reasonable import laws. Japan is the first to come to my mind, but I don't know anything about their import laws.

OK, let's try to think outside the box. It doesn't have to be a wealthy country per se, just a country with a sufficient market of wealthy people. Many Asian countries, India, Thailand, for example, have a significant number of hi-so (high society) people.

Now you need to create a demand for something they want. In my experience, status is very important to them. Ah yes! Education. It's already happening, of course, but how to do it more?

Rather than simply looking at export, you can think about importing people to spend their money - travel, tourism, education, training. Or maybe you can 'export' some of these online.

This is an interesting thread, Adi. Thanks.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BRICs are what spring to mind for me. Germany are often used as the role model for instance. They are I believe the biggest exporters in the world, and they have a huge number of smaller companies working in unglamorous niches, and these companies provide all the tools and equipment that powers the Chinese economy. It's been hugely successful for them.

And these 'emerging' economies are pretty much the only ones still growing. Russia, China, Brazil, Mexico, India et al will soon be sitting at the top table economically.

http://www.fundstrategy.co.uk/markets/hsbc-predicts-europes-fall-from-top-by-2050/1024258.article

Add in that these economies also have cash to spend (unlike many in the west) and it's a no brainer really. That's why Cameron has been out to China and India recently to try and drum up business for British companies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum