AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Women and Change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gayle
Temp

11 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Women and Change Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a question about Women in Management....do you think that women are better at changing things when in control than men?

Your thoughts would be fascinating

Ta

Gayle
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you mean by changing things - what kind of things?

If you mean adapting to new ideas and I hate to use this buzzword, "new challenges", then I can't say I could see any significant difference between genders as that is very much a personality thing.

If on the other hand you mean changing the direction other people then I suspect it depends a lot of the gender of the other person. For example, and I am generalising a lot here, but I would imagine women have more ability to change a guys mind than another womans depending on status and various other factors.

An awful lot of it still relies on individual approaches and relationship with the other person of course, but women do have one pottential advantage at least when it comes to dealing with guys - sex-appeal.

Trev
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the subject line, I thought this was going to be all about the menopause.

Seriously, though, I can't think of where there would be many differences. A good manager - whether male or female - should be equally adept at administering any changes to a business.

What kind of changes did you have in mind?
Gayle
Temp

11 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I certainly do not mean "the change", I am referring to any kind of business change, from implementing new software/hardware, changing the ways that people work, or the soft skills that are required (HR sort of stuff), organisational changes such as change in market direction, amendments to strategy or a re-organisation of the management structure. It can even be something as miniscule as changing the type of Coffee available from the coffee machines!

I am trying to gauge whether gender makes any difference. For example, if you have 2 managers doing a similar job, in a similar environment and implementing a similar change, the only difference being that one was a man and the other a woman, would the out come of the change differ on the basis of there gender?

Perhaps to some up in just 1 sentance, it would be the age old debate "Are women better than men?"

I look forward to hearing your thoughts
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gayle wrote:
Are women better than men?

Ahh... well, why didn't you say so? Now you've put it like that, the answer is 'no'. Wink

Laughing
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gayle wrote:
...would the out come of the change differ on the basis of there gender?

Depends what tactics they used to get everyone to follow them I suspect, and the gender makeup of the people involved. I suspect speaking very generally that there's slightly more chance of problems with a female boss and a workforce made up mostly of women due to office politics.

This might purely be an impression, but it seems that women especially at certain times of the month are slightly less receptive to being made to do things. If the theory that all women in an environment syncronise their body clocks, then the female boss would need to be careful about the timing of a change in such a situation which wouldn't need to be the case if it was mostly guys.

So I guess the answer is maybe one would be more receptive, but it's really hard to generalise.

As for the "men better than women" debate - well women have more tools of persuasion.

Trev
SheInspires
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are women better than men? I'd hope by now we're heading much closer to equality than who's better or worse.

As for the point about effecting organisational change I'd say that's for more to do with the individual's skills than their gender. Having said that thinking of some of the serious failings in football clubs lately it is the culture within those organisations that are allowing the men to fail so consistently and disgracefully.

So maybe look to the culture of the organisation, the skills of the individual - both IQ as well as professional - and the motivation.

Women and men have far more in common with each other because we're human than we have that's different.

The old failings of sexism and discrimination are shrinking but they are still there, limiting organisations and individuals from both genders from achieving their potential.

The richest, most successful businesses always have equality, empowerment and creativity as powerful elements in their cultures. If they don't they'll fall over as badly as Enron did.

A good woman is as effective at change as a good man is.

Advertise in our Women's Magazine online.
Spiderhousepr
Executive PA
Executive PA

82 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: women in work Reply with quote

Yeh I'm a woman, and I'm constantly trying to change and improve things in my work, but the oppressing men, like to think of it as 'nagging' which is both infuriating and frustrating. The reason im changing things is because they haven't done a good job in the first place.

But realistically its the person themselves, and how productive and reactive they are in a position to see that a change is required and follow through with it. I've seen both men and women do this very effectively, although I feel women try harder because they feel they have something to prove!
gumihomiho
PA
PA

32 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most women are inconsistent when it comes to a decision, planning or changing something, but I think it has a little advantage. Almost man has totally stood on his own, when it comes to decision, men has words of wisdom that no one can break. Therefore, women are better than man when it comes in changing things, because a woman can work harder for their success and fulfillment in life. I'm a woman too, if things doesn't work, then I'll try something new that I think will be more effective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum