AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frustrated with freelancers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Frustrated with freelancers Reply with quote

As mentioned elsewhere, I've been hiring a lot of freelancers lately for some in-house writing tasks.

Lots of people get in touch expressing interest, and I point them to a page that gives them very precise details on exactly what's involved, what the pay is, etc. I make no bones about saying that the pay is low. In fact, this is what I write:

Quote:
As it's a modest amount, it probably won't appeal to professional, full-time writers (unless they have a shortage of work!). It does however appeal to stay-at-home Mums, students and freelancers looking to supplement their earnings.

This is very clearly set out right at the start.

There's an introduction to the task at hand, details of what we pay followed by the quote above, and then more details of precisely what the work entails and the timescales involved. If they get through all that, the documentation tells them what they need to do next if they want to go ahead (they basically have to send in their full contact details and a statement saying their work will be their own, is for use by us only, etc.)

So, if someone sends in the statement, I (fairly) assume they want to go ahead, issue them with login details to do the work, etc.

There are a small handful that just get on with it and they're great, but the majority I don't hear from again. I find myself chasing them and they either a) don't reply, or b) give up and come up with some excuse or other. It's very frustrating.

But the latest one really got my goat... firstly, she miscalculated the rates and thought we were paying 6x what we actually paying (completely her error, not ours) and then she started giving me a hard time about how we weren't paying enough, and referring me to links which gave standard NUJ rates of over 20 per hour for different types of work. Argh.... what a time-waster! Why don't people READ????!!!!
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

part of my recruitment process is to ask a question (or more) and unless that question is answered in the format I asked for, I reject it. I also ask them to send me an email with an exact title and specific content in it. Again if they don't do this they are automatically rejected.

It is difficult recruitimg people. The best bit is when you take someone on, train them fully, then they demand a massive pay rise as their skillset has improved Very Happy
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this one that was being shirty put "your" in one of her emails when in fact she meant "you're" so she wasn't so professional when it came to writing anyway... Wink

After they get through the hoops we have, I seem to have a retention rate of about 1 in 4 at the moment, so I figure I just need to keep on recruiting and accept that some just aren't going to be up to scratch for whatever reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum