AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Making notes Reply with quote

What do you use to make notes in a meeting?
Direct to a device?
Small notepad?
Large hardback book?
or something else

do you make notes in pen or pencil?

I ask because i always use pencil and can't find any decent Parker type pencils for sale - I 'm assuming everyone must use pens...
I've also enviously seen a guy with a neat bendy book for making notes in - think it was moleskin cover, though he could afford it
My wife thinks I'm sad for enjoying browsing stationery shops Rolling Eyes
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meetings... what are they?

Seriously, I try to avoid them on the whole. On the few occasions I do have them, I just use a piece of A4 and a biro.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit hard to get new clients if I don't meet them....
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your line of work, I guess... what kinds of clients are we talking about?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use my brain, which is perhaps not the most reliable method Embarassed
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meetings are with people who could refer me in to clients & also with prospective clients who I may end up working with perhaps 2-3 days/month
Also if someone - client or otherwise - calls me, I'll make notes in a single book so its all together & I can refer back to if need be.

What do you do when you have a phone con & make notes?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't go to "meetings" either. However, I do often have to make notes. There's no way I could reply on memory!

It depends on the situation. Sometimes we use the record function on Dave's phone - I haven't figured out how to work mine yet.

Usually we ask permission from the person we're talking to and ask if they mind. I think it's incredibly rude to be making phone calls and yakking away to someone else while you're in a restaurant or wherever. But if you explain that you're only making notes, then everyone is happy. I always suggest that if they don't want us talking into the phone, then I can easily use my notebook instead. I've never yet been refused the phone option. You can do it discreetly anyway, and it just looks like we're having a conversation.

Sometimes we put the phone on the table and record the entire transcript of the interview with the person. No one has ever objected to that either.

Sometimes I use my notebook and pen. It's handy to be able to draw doodles and diagrams, include memory-joggers, and various visual clues. I never leave home without a notebook.

We also use the camera function on the phone as a note-taking device. Even though we have some fairly serious camera equipment, if a photo is required only for the purpose of record-keeping, then we use the phone.

Hmm, phones these days are great little gadgets. It's high time I learnt to use mine! Smile
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martynh wrote:
What do you do when you have a phone con & make notes?

A what...? Wink

Again, without meaning to sound flippant, I don't really 'do' the phone. Sure, we have one, but it's there as a last resort, really, more for those few clients who don't want to work by email. Our office can go entire days without the phone ringing (but that doesn't mean to say we are not very busy!).

That said, I did have a call from a client this morning. He wanted to make a small change to the tariff on his website because next year the October half term goes on for longer than he had realised. I wrote down what he wanted on an old envelope and then did the change and emailed him to notify him it was all dealt with.

I know you're probably thinking "how can you run a business without meetings and without phone calls?"... but, trust me, it can be done. Smile
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul
I think you need to get out more Wink
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you added a smiley to that, my guess is that you actually believe that to be the case. And you're maybe right, but I actually quite like running my business this way. I've consciously tried to develop the business so that I don't have to have regular face-to-face or verbal interactions, but so that instead I can deal with all aspects of my business, regardless of where I happen to be.

I know it all might sound rather strange, but I like it this way.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't have to justify yourself to me Very Happy
after all i spend all day analysing numbers...
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very much with Paul on this one. I really dislike talking to people on the phone. If you want to talk to me, then email me and I'll deal with it at my convenience.

Quote:
I know you're probably thinking "how can you run a business without meetings and without phone calls?"... but, trust me, it can be done. Smile

That's how we do it for all our core business. As a sideline we do things such as restaurant reviews so obviously we go out and about for those. But we travel a lot anyway, and we'd be eating out anyway, so it's no big deal to make notes while we're there and write them up later. It's nice to meet new people too and we're never in the position of trying to sell them anything. I wouldn't enjoy that!

If we never went out and met anyone at all, I don't think it would make much difference to our income. Actually, we might be better off financially by staying at home and getting on with the things which bring in the money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Business Management Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum