AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you decide whether to use a new social network?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: How do you decide whether to use a new social network? Reply with quote

I put up an article on my blog yesterday asking how people choose whether to start using a new social network or not.

http://www.adigaskell.org/blog/2011/11/29/5-ways-to-tell-if-you-should-join-a-new-social-network/

1) What's their target market?
2) How much time will it take to become established?
3) How do you plan to use the new community?
4) How will you define success?
5) Is the platform likely to be around in a years time?

Any others that you can think of?
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you an early adopter of new technology?
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide whether to use a new social network? Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:

Any others that you can think of?

I think that it depends a lot on what/where your market is and what your occupation is. Since I work with information practitioners a lot, and their stock in trade is communication and information my general advice is to go where the conversations are. Also, because librarians are people who get asked for advice on such things, it's necessary for them to know about a wide range of networks in order to offer the same sort of advice that you're providing in your blog posting.

I would add one more thing - search is becoming much more social, and if you want to be viewed as an expert in a particular area, or to be the 'go to' person, the more networks you're involved with, the easier its going to be for search engines to pick up your details and promote you. The more networks you're in, the more this will happen.

Oh yes, one other thing too - personal learning networks. If you need to know stuff, be it for work or pleasure, find a network that talks about it and join it. That way you can learn from other enthusiasts and in the longer term also give something back.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I'm starting to feel as though I'm stalking you. I keep searching for things and there you are! I suppose it must be something to do with G+ or social search or something. but the thing is, I "know" you, so if you do crop up I'll look at what you've written first before going to a stranger. Perhaps all this social stuff does have a use after all.

PS: One of your pages I read today was such a useful resource that I posted a link to it on my own forum.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kay! It kinda goes to prove what I've been saying about the whole social media thing really - people are inclined to view people that they know as a better or more trusted source than other resources.

What was the article that you linked to, out of interest?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This:

http://www.philb.com/iwantto/web2collab2.htm

I thought my forum visitors would find it useful and interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum