AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forums - does yours make money?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Forums - does yours make money? Reply with quote

I know there are a few forum owners and admins on here... I'd like to hear from others.

Does your forum make money?

If so, what are your tips for making your forum profitable?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed this before.

Well, my expat forum does make some money but not enough to live on and certainly not a reasonable reward for the time and effort it requires.

We've tried selling advertising space, earning commission on affiliate ads, and AdSense. All very small stuff. There again, some of our income is mystery meat because we have advertising revenue which isn't properly tracked as to exactly where it came from.

Advertising is not normally allowed on our forums, but we have designated areas where you can post an ad for 15.

We also sell premium memberships, which give those people added privileges, link in sig, access to PMs, their own private lounge and marketplace. That's pretty good on our thriving Malta forum, but not so good on the others. Again, we couldn't live on that income, it's just a bit extra for us.

As well as enjoying the community spirit, it's also a good place for me to tell people what we're doing on our other sites, so I guess you could say a benefit is the free advertising we get on there.

If your goal is to make money, then there are certainly easier ways of going about it than running a forum.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CMI website makes 5 figures each month, but it's hard to really say how much of that is down to the forum part of the site (probably quite small). Forums on their own are difficult to monetize.
satti
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Forums Reply with quote

Forums are the most populated places in the internet, next o social networking sites like facebook. Forums owners make money by placing ads and forum membership fees. Forum owners also pay moderators to keep the forums under control.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums Reply with quote

satti wrote:
Forums are the most populated places in the internet, next o social networking sites like facebook. Forums owners make money by placing ads and forum membership fees. Forum owners also pay moderators to keep the forums under control.

What makes you say forums are more popular than social networking sites? Scratch
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Forums owners make money by placing ads and forum membership fees.

Talk about stating the bleedin' obvious. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Forum owners also pay moderators to keep the forums under control

ROFL. You really haven't got a clue have you? It's very rare for a mod to be paid unless they're working for a big corporation and running the forum is their job. The only likely exception to that might be if you sell a successful forum and the owner pays you something to stay on and run it while he is getting used to taking over the reins himself.

satti, I've not seen any of your other postings yet but I hope to heck they make more sense than that one did. Evil or Very Mad
Bill Ryan
Executive PA
Executive PA

67 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly some make money because they are very busy and sell space, maybe a premium membershp and maybe adsense etc.as per Kay.

i suppose the challenge is a bit harder if you are in the middle ground.and not so busy!

One of the reasons I pay the premium fee to be on a couple of other business forums is the ability to put up posts or articles that are useful for promo/seo purposes.
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wow, if it's as easy as that everyone would be starting one. Most populated sites on the internet? I appreciate your sense of humor but that's just not true. That said, I think a few of the largest and busiest forums do make money from premium membership and ads. The majority earns zero or very little to, as Kay noted above, compensate for the effort in building and running one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum