AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you libel an anonymous person or pen name?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Can you libel an anonymous person or pen name? Reply with quote

I'm just curious because this issue has cropped up on one of my sites. I don't think there's any danger of litigation but, for the sake of debate...

Joe Soap shows up and takes exception to something I've said on a blog. I did not name anyone, but simply referred to an anonymous group of people. Joe identifies himself as being part of this group. I have no idea who Joe Soap is, although I do know that's not his real name.

Joe says I'll libelled him.

I say I haven't because I don't even know who he is. As far as I'm concerned he's anonymous - hiding behind a pen name.

Joe says that I can still be sued for libel for making allegations against the user of the pen name.

(If this is correct, then they subsequently also libelled me by making false accusations against my pen name.)

This is all too trivial ever to go to court, but I was curious about the legal principles involved.
Bill Ryan
Executive PA
Executive PA

67 ants

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kay

Not really my area but

as you have to write something damaging to reputation
and the person is anonymous it can't happen (I would say)

but a pen name may be capable of identyfying the person in which case not anonymous

so it depends?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill. Yeah, I was pretty much thinking along the same lines. We don't have any means of identifying who Joe Soap is so they're anonymous.

And just about everyone knows that Not Deila is my pen name so therefore I'm not anonymous and could have my reputation damaged by false accusations.
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, I'm not sure if you'll find your answer here but it seems relevant to the discussion:

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92445
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Thanks, Mark.

As it happens, the person scuttled off after receiving the sharp edge of my tongue. Twisted Evil

Anyway, the thing is that they were completely anonymous - just using any old name to start causing trouble by blog commenting. On the other hand, I was using my pen name, by which I am fairly well known. It's even my avatar here.

It was all very silly, but when you run any kind of website that encourages interaction with the general public then you have to expect to deal with some rather unusual people sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum