AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid affiliate marketing offer!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Stupid affiliate marketing offer! Reply with quote

I'm affiliated with a merchant who has just now sent me an email with some of their latest offers to promote.

Latest deal, special offers, get free gift vouchers, blah, blah, blah.

Then they say at the end of the email that this offer applies only to postal transactions. Eh? Shocked

Did I misunderstand something? They are asking me to promote their stuff on my website but they'll only give away discounts and freebies to people who buy offline. Urm, what about my commission for the leads/sales? Why on earth would I want to spend my time doing this?

Does this sound stupid to you as well?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often merchants offering affiliate schemes don't 'get' affiliate schemes never ceases to amaze me.

We had one offering 0% commission... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid

Funny, Paul, but it doesn't surprise me at all. How about the one you mentioned before?

You have made so many sales for us that we've exceeded the budget we have for the aff programme. We are therefore chucking you off for being one of our top salespeople.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes... and then there's also another of yours. "Thank you for all the sales you have generated for us. As a way of saying 'thank you', we're going to be sending you a free gift." (...and then they don't actually send it.)

All too often I think it's big companies that can get the most from affiliate marketing, but they too often seem to be the most adept at getting it wrong.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oho! Is this a competition to see who can mention the most stupid merchant behaviour?

I'll raise you one.

The merchant spammed a customer who had bought something via my aff link. Customer complains to me. Fair enough. I complain to merchant. I get nowhere, so I post about it on one of our forums. Merchant says they're not allowed to access forums because of work policy.

Erm, did you just tell me that aff managers aren't allowed to access what customers are saying about the merchant?

Meanwhile their sidekick spams our other forum with an attempt to advertise said merchant.

So, can they or can't they access forums from work? Also, it looks really crass when a multinational company spams rather than paying 15 for an advert which was all it would have cost them.

There's more but I'll wait and see what you come back with before I show my aces.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if we're talking spam from big companies, I've mentioned this one before but I think it deserves another mention:

http://www.aardvarktravel.net/chat/viewtopic.php?t=21518
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just lurve the indignation from them when they get caught out. Rolling Eyes

We had one guy from a major company suggesting that he would talk to me about the spamming issue - after we'd removed the thread which had outed them as being spammers. I said I didn't want to remove the thread.

He said it was harming both of our businesses to leave it.

I said it wasn't harming my business at all and that many of our forum visitors might be glad of the info that the major company he represented stooped as low as to spam forums.

They really don't 'get' it.
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to this guy about managing his online reputation. He's a motivational speaker doing several big ticket events every year and selling books and CDs. His problem was that he email spammed a consumer advocacy website owner earning him an article on that which tagged him as a spammer. If you search for his name, that post always comes up next to his own site. He made the mistake of threatening the owner with legal action, which earned him an update on the post and tons of negative comments from the readers of that site. The guy then asked for my email address so he can send me more details about the proposed project. A few minutes later, guess what I had in my inbox. Spam emails from him. Some people just never learn.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there's more...

Here's the latest via email from the merchant whose employees aren't allowed to use forums to see what customers are saying about them but apparently they are allowed to use forums for the purpose of spamming.

Their affiliate tracking system is down because they're creating a new improved website to enhance the visitor experience.

WHAT? Don't you realise that it's getting towards the last minute dates for Christmas shopping online. It's potentially the busiest time of year for retail. Many affiliates will have put a lot of work into getting their sites ready before Christmas, and now you tell us you won't track commissions?

It's shameful. I'd like to pull all their links now but I don't have the time to do it.

Yours,

Disgusted (but not from Tunbridge Wells)
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their busiest time... ergo, they'd like to have all the profits for themselves. Rolling Eyes

There really ought to be some legislation that prevents merchants from doing this at the drop of a hat.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well despite what I said about lack of time, we are pulling all the most prominent links we have to them. I can't be bothered doing it on the more obscure pages, but I sure as heck ain't giving them free advertising where it's more likely to send business their way.

Really, I'm very angry about this. Apart from the usual stuff we promote for them, I've even created special pages on various sites about the Christmas festivities, and promoted their products. And now they dump this on us. Evil or Very Mad

It's a good company in the real world. I was delighted to be affiliated with them but they have NO CLUE about how to run an affiliate programme.

Anyway, on the subject of Christmas, we'll be having our Christmas dinner on Saturday - the joys of having a food blog, eh? We're even having turkey for the first time in many years.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
It's a good company in the real world. I was delighted to be affiliated with them but they have NO CLUE about how to run an affiliate programme.

Alas, that seems so true of so many companies.

Kay wrote:
Anyway, on the subject of Christmas, we'll be having our Christmas dinner on Saturday - the joys of having a food blog, eh? We're even having turkey for the first time in many years.

Enjoy! Photos will no doubt follow... Wink
callbox
Secretary
Secretary

20 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
How often merchants offering affiliate schemes don't 'get' affiliate schemes never ceases to amaze me.

We had one offering 0% commission... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Seriously?! Zero commission? Wow..look at what people are doing these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum