AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you be happy for your salary to be in the public?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Would you be happy for your salary to be in the public? Reply with quote

One of the measures being discussed by the government in their review of the banking crisis is to make managers at the public owned banks declare their salaries to the public.

Would you be happy for the public to know how much you earnt?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Adi. Interesting article which raises lots of interesting points.

I think to some extent people can have a fair idea of how much people earn - certainly for employees in the public sector. They could find out the range anyway if they knew what grade you were.

For the private sector - is it really anyone else's business? I guess it's the shareholders' business.

As for the subject being a British taboo, I most definitely agree. I was quite taken aback when I first moved to Asia and almost the first question after "What's your name?" is "How much do you earn?". Yep. Definitely not the done thing in Britain.
nickora
Executive PA
Executive PA

79 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: for public sector Reply with quote

Quite simply i think for the public sector yes we darn well should know where our money is going and who is getting what percentage of it! no one minds paying for something if its value for money, but if its not, anywhere else we would normally expect a refund!
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's one thing for colleagues to know how much you earn and another again for Joe Public to know. Speaking personally I have no idea how much my colleagues earn and it would seem inappropriate to ask. Should it be though?
nickora
Executive PA
Executive PA

79 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: honesty is the best policy Reply with quote

i dont see any reason why people should really hide their figures, its illegal to pay one person more than another to do the same job without some actual good reason isnt it? so just how would people know if they dont ask? or do your colleagues need to turn up in a ferrari before you start to question things? i also dont know how much my colleagues earn, but i do know the ball park figures and their pretty indusry standard to be honest.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what's the big secret? But...

quoting a point from Adi's blog:

Quote:
It's an interesting situation though as salary is one of those seemingly taboo areas of British life, one of those subjects that you generally don't ask one another.

It is a taboo, and it does seem inappropriate to ask. Should it be taboo? I dunno. The British have so many taboos and hang-ups I wouldn't know where to start.
AboveParr
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love people to know what I earn - they might chuck a fiver in... Wink

Read Minky's Blog at www.aboveparr.co.uk/minkys-musings
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't care and quite a few people do know already. The only risk is that some spotty 16 year old could come along and offer to do the same job, probably quicker for half the money. Smile

I think a lot of the taboo about this comes from companies for whatever reason. Might be that they're worried about other people doing the same job getting paid more elsewhere, or the old paying two people different amounts trick (however illegal).

It'll change over time however I'm sure...

Trev
jonicode
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it should be. We have the right to discretion and I don't see much of an advantage for us if we choose to disclose our salary to the public, unless we want to use crunching figures as bait to get laid, which is a dishonorable thing to do. Embarassed
John Ashtone
PA
PA

31 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't as taboo in Blighty as some European Countries, where the question is sometimes treated as though you had dropped a rasping smelly one in front of the Queen. Embarassed

I think it does depend on the status of the job in the Public domain, and the jobgs impact on the Public area. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum