AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fancy becoming a truck driver...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Fancy becoming a truck driver...? Reply with quote

Looks like there's going to be a major need for them in the not too distant future especially in the UK, although strangely also Canada according to a BBC article. The article is about trying to get more women into the role partly because they see that as a huge pottential employment market, but basically they need more people.

I knew a truck driver once and I'm not too sure the rosy job they describe in this article exactly matches the reality of the situation in many cases with deadlines, bizare working hours and the required "time away from the cab" including unloading for many firms. However maybe there are some better ones out there.

The pay of 50K/year also isn't starting pay either by a long way! You can earn that, but you've got to have been doing the job for quite some time.

I think when I hit my midlife crisis, this might be where I'll end up - about another 6 months then! Smile

Trev
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay is supposedly pretty good. It's a physically demanding job though.
John Ashtone
PA
PA

31 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50k lmfao.

I do sub contract work for Wolseley plc, and their top drivers are reputedly on 28k.

Weren't the Oil tanker drivers on 38/40k which is very good money.

I have been recommending any youngsters to look at getting an HGV licence if they are not very academic or well qualified for this last 4 or 5 years, as the demographics have shown this trend for a while now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Jobs & Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum