AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is a school trip to Iraq wise?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Is a school trip to Iraq wise? Reply with quote

This guy is apparently taking a school trip out to Iraq. Whilst this might be a great educational opportunity for the children, it's also surely not without its risks.

Do you think this is wise?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way would I advise doing that!

I think it's OK for an adult to decide to do it (Heck, I did similar for a couple of years.) But it can be very dangerous. Seriously dangerous. Even for civilians, aid workers, journos etc. By all means if the guy is committed to working on a project there, then good luck to him. But IMO it's totally insane to take a group of students there.

The fact that he's even considering this would make me question his judgement. on anything.

From the article:
Quote:
He said security was not an issue during the trip...

What planet is this guy on? OK, he went to Kurdistan for five days and returned to tell the tale. He was lucky.

But it's OK, he'll speak to the British Council. Words fail me. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

PS: Did you post that story just to get me wound up, Paul?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to Radio 5 and I heard it on there. The guy was being interviewed and didn't seem to think it was a big deal. Shocked

You've also got to question the wisdom of making such a trip so much in the public eye. If you're going to do it, wouldn't it be better not drawing lots of press attention to yourselves???!
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he doesn't think it's a big deal, then there's all the proof you need that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Plus there's still plenty of bombs going off, not to mention the possibility of an ambush, or a hostage situation, Or even maybe accidentally coming a cropper on a landmine or getting caught in the cross-fire.

He might think he's brave and well-meaning but if he suggested taking any of my kids into such a place (if I had any kids, of course), I would call for a vote of no-confidence n him and try to have him removed from his position as headmaster.

No doubt, he'll go and they'll all return safely but there is no guarantee of that.
MariaFrolova
Secretary
Secretary

8 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Is a school trip to Iraq wise? Reply with quote

If you want your kids feel as hostages in CS so this is just the right way to go.
John Ashtone
PA
PA

31 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only just viewed this in Oct, and every reply had missed the point.

It was not taking the kids out to Iraq, he went out by invitation to see what help could be provided.

I wish people would read some content before jumping to conclusions.

And a situation is often no where near as dangeorus when you are out there your self as people at home perceive it to be.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, John, he WAS taking kids out to Iraq.

It's not mentioned in the article I linked to, but it was mentioned on the radio programme I mentioned.

Perhaps it is you who needs to read more before jumping to conclusions.

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2012-04-05/school-organises-trip-to-iraq/
John Ashtone
PA
PA

31 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As that information was not in the posting, thank you.

I still think all those who are against the idea are stupid little cretins. and because of spineless little wimps who are frightened something adventerous might happen, it is difficult for many youngsters to experience life.

He has have my full backing, but then I have been in dangerous situations, next time you have someone point a gun at your temple come back and we can exchange, our thoughts on the experience.

Meanwhile he was going to the Kurdish area of Iraq, and even Baghdad is fairly safe when you know what you are doing.

And hey surprise surprise they survived.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still think all those who are against the idea are stupid little cretins. and because of spineless little wimps who are frightened something adventerous might happen, it is difficult for many youngsters to experience life.

Thank you for your vote of confidence in my judgement, John. Glad to know you think I'm a "stupid little cretin" or perhaps just a "spineless wimp". I only gave my opinion based on having spent two years working in Kurdistan and also making several trips south to Baghdad. But I wouldn't know anything about the subject, would I? LOL.

During my time there, some of my colleagues were murdered (ambushed by Iraqi machine gunners in Kurdistan) and after I left, another colleague was executed by beheading in Baghdad. Personally, I came under fire from Iraqi machine gunners a couple of times and narrowly escaped being blown up by car bombs. I was very lucky to emerge unscathed.

Kurdistan/Iraq is not about doing something adventurous. It's a very dangerous place. I'd like to know what experience you have of that area to form such opinions.

And whether I'm a stupid little cretin or a spineless wimp or not, I would still strongly advise that it is absolutely NOT a place to take kids. It's a place for highly trained adults to carry out their jobs. OK so the kids got lucky this time.

What sane person would send their kids into such an environment?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't, but maybe that's because I too am a stupid little cretin or spineless little wimp.

I'm pleased to say I've not come remotely close to any of the experiences you describe, Kay, and hope I never have to.

I'm all in favour of people having great experiences but a degree of measured risk - particularly where children are involved - is surely the best approach. When I was at school, there was a trip to Svalbard which at the time was the most northerly expedition I think a UK school had ever done. The children were trained in the use of rifles in the event of having to use them to ward off polar bears. I believe this trip wasn't danger-free but nothing like as dangerous or as unpredictable as going to Iraq. That said, I was sad to read about a school trip to Svalbard only last year in which a pupil was killed in a polar bear attack.
John Ashtone
PA
PA

31 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were with the British Council who are on the ground an an assesment was made at the time and even if that had been wrong, they were in my humble opinion quite right to go, ESPECIALLY with teenagers.

Live life to the full and sod those who want to live a long time and be SAFE.

If you don't like my replies tough.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British Council is primarily about teaching English as a foreign language to people overseas. Yes, I know they do other things too, especially on the cultural side. To teach English as a foreign language, you don't need a lot of skills or qualifications. You can even get these certificates online these days. And the jobs are usually quite low-paid at entry level. Many of them are doing the job for the experience so they can either live in a country or to move on to better things.

Anyone who relies on the advice of the British Council about anything is making a bad call.

I don't know why you're being so aggressive with your replies. Quite simply, Iraq or Iraqi Kurdistan is a dangerous area and not a good place to send kids on a school outing.

Since you keep telling us that we're spineless wimps who want to be safe, may I ask how long you've spent in that country?

PS: I agree that it's a good place to send teenagers, ESPECIALLY if you want to get them out of your hair. It could be a very convenient way to get rid of them.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ashtone wrote:
If you don't like my replies tough.

John, you don't sound like someone who is interested in engaging in reasonable discussion.

Why the attitude?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum