AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time for a rethink on alcohol?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Time for a rethink on alcohol? Reply with quote

Alcohol is more harmful than heroin or crack, according to a study published in medical journal the Lancet.

The report is co-authored by Professor David Nutt, the former UK chief drugs adviser who was sacked by the government in October 2009.

It ranks 20 drugs on 16 measures of harm to users and to wider society.

Tobacco and cocaine are judged to be equally harmful, while ecstasy and LSD are among the least damaging.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210

So a pretty reputable journal showing that booze is more dangerous than many illegal drugs.

Will it make any difference or will the government continue to brush it under the carpet?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it all depend on level of use?

We've heard many a case in the news over the years where one ecstacy tablet has killed someone. I don't recall similar stories with a single glass of wine.

A lot of it is all about moderation, isn't it?

I notice 'harm to others' contributes considerably to alcohol's final score (relative to the others)... is this largely due to drink driving incidents or other factors?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes but badly made food can kill you as well, doesn't mean it should be banned Smile

Not sure about the social factors involved in alcohol, but things like most A&E incidents at weekends being alcohol related will no doubt be involved, as I suspect will the amount of police time taken up by booze related stuff.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could argue it is kind of is banned...

Kitchens up and down the land are inspected to try and prevent that from happening, and they're shut down if they don't comply. Wink
Arnoud
Secretary
Secretary

31 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="paul"]Doesn't it all depend on level of use?

We've heard many a case in the news over the years where one ecstacy tablet has killed someone. I don't recall similar stories with a single glass of wine.

A lot of it is all about moderation, isn't it?

I notice 'harm to others' contributes considerably to alcohol's final score (relative to the others)... is this largely due to drink driving incidents or other factors?[/quote]

I agree with Paul. Unfortunately I live in the country with the so called "coffee shops" yes coffee is sold over there but the main products are soft drugs. Here in The Netherlands soft drugs are allowed while hard drugs forbidden.
If you look only to the effects/harm to other people alcohol may be worse than drugs but for personal health the effects of soft and hard drugs are much stronger.
Bishal Giri
Secretary
Secretary

29 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: question! Reply with quote

I want to know how much amount of the alcohol does the beer consists and so do the vodka.Which one is harmful ?
comparatively?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum