AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need marketing advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Working from Home Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

12 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Need marketing advice Reply with quote

I work as a rep for a kids clothing company. We sell BRAND names for less. Company is in California, I am a rep in NY. I get paid 50% in commission. We cater to both individual consumers and retailers: We were even named one of the best low priced kids clothing. My VP is a famed celeb designer.

I need to increase my sales drastically since I would love to go to Havard or some other Ivy league for a Phd. I have been placing ads online and tried direct mails. The response has not been so great. This is NY, people are skeptical about goods especially with so many counterfeiters out there.

My company has a main website where customers place their orders. In order for me to receive my commission customers would have to enter my ID which is their discount code. The code is everything. How can I advertise on other sites successfully? (keep in mind that there is only one main website and the need to enter discount code.)

4037 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they get an actual discount only if they enter your code, or is that simply a tracking ID and they'll get the price anyway?

If it's only discounted when they enter the code then you need to make this very clear in the adverts and remind them to write down the code before visiting. Also be sure that the company web site asks for the discount code clearly to remind them after they've been shopping.

If it's discounted anyway then well, personally I'd walk away as there's no incentive for people to remember the code and people are generally lazy, so they probably won't even realise that someone is working hard to make money from this. That's assuming many of them even care about someone else which from what I hear about NYC, I would wonder.

This will only work if the merchant decides it's in their interests to help you as much as possible, eg: only discounting with the discount ID and making sure the user knows this when they come to the checkout. Some will do this, some won't because they don't think about it, and others won't because they really don't care about you.

You can of course reassure yourself that if they are the latter they'll get their just desserts one day and then you'll be able to take over the clothing empire and become super rich. Wink

With regards marketting - direct mail rarely seems to work as people get so much of it, there has to be a serious amount of money involved in the leads, eg: credit cards for it to be worthwhile.

You might find newspaper ads work, but they are generally really expensive and you've got to remember that there's now 4 steps for them to complete, ie: read your ad, go to the computer, go to the web site and remember the code. I'm always very sceptical that newspaper ads work for web sites, due to the above and the fact that you're not necessarily even advertising to people with a computer.

Before you can really figure out how much you want to spend, I would try to work out how much money you're likely to get from an average sale. That can of course be hard, but the merchant should be able to give you an idea about how much an average sale is. Then work out your commission on that and then factor in your % of views to sales.

For example, if you were running something like a Google Adwords campaign at 10c a click, then the maths might work out as:

Average basket is $50 worth of clothing

Adwords at 20c click x 1000 visitors = $200 paid out on clicks per 1000 visitors
5% of 1000 visitors = 50 visitors buying
$2500 made from the 1000 visitors
$2500 / 50% commission = $1250 made

In this case you're going to make a nice profit even with your 50% commission so it would be very worthwhile - assuming the 50% is half of the sale price. Newspapers on the other hand I would suspect won't stack up so well as you're looking at a much smaller % actually interested.

There is unfortunately some guess work involved in this kind of maths but for what you're doing, you might want to stop advertising just to the small area of NYC and maybe branch out across the world with something like Adwords.

Before you do any of this I would evaluated whether it's worth the hassle and actually going to make you the money you want. The people who always win out with affiliate schemes are the merchants, although some are much nicer to their affiliates than others.

The thing which really worries me is the 50% especially if that's of the sale price. That sounds like one of these "can't resist" type offers and makes me nervious about whether they are tracking all the orders for example. If I was going to put a lot of time into something like this I'd want to see serious committment from the merchant to ensure all the sales are being tracked to the full.

Mad Theories - Ambleside - Coniston - Grange

276 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People / clients are always going to be skeptical about heavily discounted 'designer' products. It's like the cheap Rolex thing. First instinct is...'what's wrong with it'. Therefore it's really important to use the ‘branding’ of the company in your advertising and use it to generate ‘confidence’ in the purchase. People / clients absolutely love a deal, but they have to be confident that it’s a good deal and that they are not getting screwed over.

You said that your company has been named as one of best low priced kids clothing. “Who by?” Was it a recognized magazine? Can you use a quote from them? Your VP is famous celeb designer; drop their name in your adverts.

Trev is absolutely right. Is the code a tracking code or a real discount code? This is fundamental to your advert. If it is you can totally focus on the code. If not, then it’s going to be really difficult to convince your prospect to remember it and use it.

One idea (if your company is a nice company) is NOT to let any customers to place an order without a ‘discount ID code’.

But hang on! The company should add to their order form page a (if you do not have a discount code CLICK HERE) option. This could take them through to a nice big map of the UsofA, then given them the option to select their ‘state’ then select, from a list the closest agent. Click on this and then ‘your’ details appear with your discount ID. They click on this, takes them back to the order form and then hey presto you’ve got your sale.

The added benefit is the client only has to remember the website address and not the code.

This way it shows the company really cares about their agents and wants them to be successful and in turn successful agents mean more people will want to be agents, which means a greater network of agents which means more sales and the company wins.

This helps to ensure that any ‘local’ advertising you do reflects back to your ID code through the company website.

Once you have your ‘copy’ you need to think about getting it in places where you’ll get ‘quality prospects’. This of course is easier said than done, but if you have already tried direct mail (avg return is 1 out of 100) then it really does depend ‘where’ and to ‘who’ the direct mail was sent to. 3rd party generated mailing list don’t hold much water (in my opinion) unless you use a reputable company, but of course you’re going to pay quite a bit for quality leads. It might be a good idea to contact all the kids toy shops, early learning centre’s and nurseries (pre school) etc. And see if they would let you place some of your flyers in their stores and staff rooms. If your products and service are excellent then getting a referral from an established business in a similar industry (kids products) should be enough to produce a confident purchase.

Hope this helps

ENUK Inverted Nail Systems

12 ants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the better online retailers who have sales agents and affiliates offer a way of taking your agent id into the target web site. So that if the site is dubyadubyadubya.seeit.com then you apend your agents number as /123456 to the url. Then the site takes care of tracking sales. Can you get them to do this? You never want to rely on the customer to put in your detials. Why should they?

Sales Coaching and Training - www.andoverconsulting.co.uk
Business Networking Clubs - www.quantumspeednetworking.com
Help for Coaches and Professional Services Providers who want to find more Clients - www.realclientconnections.com

6 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post richardbarker.. Thanks
Share your opinions - paid surveys

41 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your own website, sales in internet, keyword seo, then you can expand your sales business.
Chinese Crystal Beads
Crystal Perfume Bottle
China t-shirts manufacturer
t shirts manufacturer China
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Working from Home Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum