AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$1bn YouTube lawsuit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: $1bn YouTube lawsuit Reply with quote

I have to say... it was only a matter of time...

Quote:
Some 160,000 clips of Viacom programming have been illegally available on YouTube and have been viewed more than 1.5 billion times, Viacom said. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and also seeks an injunction prohibiting Google and YouTube from further copyright infringement.

"YouTube is a significant, for-profit organization that has built a lucrative business out of exploiting the devotion of fans to others' creative works in order to enrich itself and its corporate parent Google. Their business model, which is based on building traffic and selling advertising off of unlicensed content, is clearly illegal and is in obvious conflict with copyright laws," Viacom said in a statement.

"In fact, YouTube's strategy has been to avoid taking proactive steps to curtail the infringement on its site, thus generating significant traffic and revenues for itself while shifting the entire burden - and high cost - of monitoring YouTube onto the victims of its infringement," Viacom said in a statement.

Paul
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....wonder why they have suddenly woken up to this then. Couldn't be anything to do with Google taking it over and thus there actually being some money behind it?

One thing they forget is that YouTube is seen by people all over the world, most of whom don't have access to Viacom programmes, thus how can they possibly be losing money? This could infact increase their chances of getting programmes out there as for example someone in the UK might see it, tell their friends and eventually Channel 4 or similar could pickup a really big hit programme, thus making Viacom money.

Corporates never seem to be able to see past the end of their monthly balance sheets!

Trev
stephangrobler
Executive PA
Executive PA

99 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Trev, we here South Africa never would have seen some of viacoms programs. As for keeping the 160 000 clips of permanently, it is going to take some serious labour to get it off and keep it off.
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IP is IP regardless. Google/YT is breaking the law, and they SHOULD be punished IMO.

Google makes billins off other peoples content, and the 'do no evil' tag dropped off a long time ago. Wake up and smell the coffe guys, time for the big dog of Google to be slapped around a bit. Very Happy
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how the NewsCorp/MSN/NBC deal will impact things as they're planning to offer downloads for free from their networks. Whilst YouTube started out as a place for users to upload their own videos I suspect they get far more traffic now from people viewing copyrighted material.
snanny
Executive
Executive

212 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this took a long time...
I must admit I'm using Youtube sometimes to watch my favorite programs what I miss in TV.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Welsh Guy wrote:
IP is IP regardless. Google/YT is breaking the law, and they SHOULD be punished IMO.

The only thing is - since Google took over YouTube after most of the offences took place presumably, can they actually get money out of Google or purely YouTube coffers? And considering how much YouTube was spending, I doubt it actually had any money to pay the billions.

On the downloadable TV front - if anyone actually signs deals to do that, I really hope they do a better job than Channel 4 On Demand service. The download speeds are around dialup level of 40kbs max so one episode of a program (170MB average) is taking 20 hours on broadband!

The people behind Skype seem to have the best idea with the Venice project whereby you use downloaders systems to upload to other users, and some big names are jumping on that one. Strangely, this is what peer to peer did and the same big names tried to kill that off...!

Trev
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm....

Quote:
In a rare opportunity to play the wronged party, Google responds to Viacom's copyright infringement case against Youtube with a lashing that brings the very notion of individual freedom into question. Search Engine Land synopsizes.

To quote from the first paragraph of Google's lengthy response:

Quote:
"By seeking to make carriers and hosting providers liable for internet communications, Viacom's complaint threatens the way hundreds of millions of people legitimately exchange information, news, entertainment, and political and artistic expression. Google and YouTube respect the importance of intellectual property rights, and not only comply with their safe harbor obligations under the DMCA, but go well above and beyond what the law requires."

I'm not sure the courts will buy that one. What do you think?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they're basically saying that Viacom should go after the users that upload the content rather than YouTube? Rolling Eyes
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my interpretation, yes.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another case just in...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6627135.stm?ls

Quote:
The English Premier League is to sue video-sharing site YouTube for alleged copyright infringement.

The football organisation said YouTube had "knowingly misappropriated" its intellectual property by encouraging footage to be viewed on its site.

Google-owned YouTube already faces a $1bn (501m) lawsuit from media giant Viacom, accusing it of illegally showing clips from its TV shows.

YouTube has denied those claims, saying the suit threatens the internet.

Could numerous lawsuits such as this actually bring about Google's downfall?

Paul
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't really stopped Microsoft has it. I dare say Google's lawyers could drag this out for quite some time.
Eagle
President
President

659 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
Could numerous lawsuits such as this actually bring about Google's downfall?

Let's hope so. Smile
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what's the likely actual cost of this going to be if they lose? They sued for $1b, but that sounds an awfully round number to be honest and I wouldn't be surprised if part of this is simply to generate publicity for Viacom programmes. The final number will no doubt be a lot lower than that as each side works out what it's spending on legal fees.

Then again, there are rumours that Google might buy one of the networks that's suing it, so why not buy Viacom? Smile

As for the downfall of Google - well yeah, but do you really think Yahoo and MSN combined would be able to deliver the traffic that Google does? We'll end up back in the days where we creates pages optimised for 10 different engines which really complicated things.

Trev
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then again, there are rumours that Google might buy one of the networks that's suing it, so why not buy Viacom?

That would indeed be ironic seeing as it was the AOL/TimeWarner merger that effectively saw the end of the dot-com boom. I wonder if they'll have learnt from history at all?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum