AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on Blog name please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADLI
Secretary
Secretary

24 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Advice on Blog name please! Reply with quote

I'm hoping to start up a blog soon and would like it to have a .co.uk domain name.
The name that I have come up with is available as .co.uk, however it is taken as .com

Any advice of whether I should still take the .co.uk - I had heard that you should secure the .com to a site even if you are using .co.uk or similar. Will this be a headache for me in a few years time?

Thanks
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needn't be a headache but if it's something that you think will bother you long-term, then you might wish to re-consider.

For a long time the British Broadcasting Corporation only had bbc.co.uk until eventually securing the .com from a Boston banking institution IIRC. I'm sure there must be many other high profile examples where a company only has the .co.uk still to this day, but it needn't necessarily hamper business.

Paul
vipdev
Secretary
Secretary

6 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Blog name please! Reply with quote

ADLI wrote:
I'm hoping to start up a blog soon and would like it to have a .co.uk domain name.
The name that I have come up with is available as .co.uk, however it is taken as .com

Any advice of whether I should still take the .co.uk - I had heard that you should secure the .com to a site even if you are using .co.uk or similar. Will this be a headache for me in a few years time?

Thanks

Domain extension you must choose with long term consideration, its always a good idea to go for a available .com name rather than settling for a country specific domain TLD. I think you should reconsider this whole issue.

And when your choosing a domain name extension, you should consider the type of blog you gonna have, if its a UK related blog then your choice is ok, but if your blog falls under the general category, i would not recommend a .co.uk extension.
Alan
Executive PA
Executive PA

0 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what´s been said thus far, another thing to conider which can make a difference is how far apart the .com is from your potential site in terms of content. If they are quite diffenent businesses and everyone knows you as UK based you should be okay. But if, say, you both were car dealers it may present a problem.
CubanJoe
Executive PA
Executive PA

93 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: com or co uk Reply with quote

It all very much depends on where your business is based and your target. If you were based in the UK and your target audience and customers will be from the UK then a co.uk could be as could as a dot.com

Dot.com ideally is better but co.uk's can still be very good for UK businesses.
Spiderhousepr
Executive PA
Executive PA

82 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a blogger I'de secure a .com - who knows where your blog will go?

strange how you get used to names though - i would always go to BBC.co.uk - I'de never even think of using .com!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum