AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My ctrl key won't work - urgent!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elle1971
Executive
Executive

333 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: My ctrl key won't work - urgent! Reply with quote

I tried typing "my ctrl key won't work" into Google... and the only result that I got was someone moaning about it whilst they were posting about being 51% sommat or other.

Anyhoo... as you've guessed... my ctrl key is cream-crackered, and so is the one to the right of my space bar too. Oh, and my caps lock key won't work either. This implies a function gone awry somewhere to me - although I did strip off all the keys from the keyboard tonight and clean it out too. Did you know some of these keys have letters on them? It's old, and the keys hadn't seen the light of day for a while.

Now I use ctrl shortcuts constantly (except now obviously) and it's driving me crazy to be without it - especially in my design program! Yes, hubby's buying me a new one... but in the meantime, is there some little place on my PC that I can tick a box or similar?

Pleeeeeese help!!!

Elle xx
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that they'd both go caput, so might be a fault in the keyboard controller or a wire gone do-lally. Sounds like you need a new one for sure. Smile

As for seeing the letters - half of mine have worn off, most now have groves in the keys and 4 of them have large holes in the keys...! Oh be careful removing them as the muck can sometimes change the way they spring, so you'll find they don't feel right afterwards. My spacebar is very iffy now.

Trev
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the best thing for you to do is to get a new keyboard.

Actually my office computer has a pretty crappy keyboard as well. I need to press the left end of 'Shift' to do what it's supposed to do.
Elle1971
Executive
Executive

333 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit, I've been kind of putting up with it. But I'm going to try swapping my keyboard for another one before I actually go and buy one. I just thought it was odd that BOTH ctrl keys don't work, despite being at different areas of the board. Oh and the Caps lock too.
But I'll let you know how I get on.
Elle xx
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elle1971 wrote:
Must admit, I've been kind of putting up with it. But I'm going to try swapping my keyboard for another one before I actually go and buy one. I just thought it was odd that BOTH ctrl keys don't work, despite being at different areas of the board. Oh and the Caps lock too.
But I'll let you know how I get on.
Elle xx

If you know a keyboard that's sitting in an office somewhere among many other keyboards, maybe you can switch it with yours. If and when the person using your old keyboard notices that Ctrl keys don't work properly, you can tell him/her that, maybe, someone spilt coffee on it. My friend did exactly that ...
Elle1971
Executive
Executive

333 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, can't get away with that one - only other PC here is hubby's... and he knows about my "key" problems.

Nice idea though - and definitely one to remember... along with nicking the ball out of a colleague's mouse, or unplugging the handset from their phone too.
RieOrg
Executive
Executive

309 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest parts of technology always let you down!! lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum