AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Many Teens Spend 30 Hours A Week On 'Screen Time' ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Many Teens Spend 30 Hours A Week On 'Screen Time' ... Reply with quote

Quote:
ScienceDaily (Mar. 14, 2008) While most teenagers (60 percent) spend on average 20 hours per week in front of television and computer screens, a third spend closer to 40 hours per week, and about 7 percent are exposed to more than 50 hours of 'screen-time' per week, according to a study presented at the American Heart Association's 48th Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention.

Researchers looked at patterns of screen-time through high school, including total time viewing television, video, computer and the Internet. Then they examined the influence of neighborhood social factors on distinct patterns of screen-time.

"Boys and those whose parents had lower educational attainment were much more likely to be in the 'high-screen time' group," said Tracie A. Barnett, Ph.D., lead author of the study. "Teens with high levels of screen time may be at increased risk of obesity."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080312172614.htm

Pretty interesting data. 7 percent spend more than 50 hours of 'screen-time'. Do they go to schools ...? If so, how do they manage to spend 50 hours a week ... for TV and what have you ...?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this study conducted during term time or during the holidays? If the latter, the statistic doesn't really surprise me that much.
TrainingTime
Secretary
Secretary

29 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could easily log 8 hours a day of "screen time"

Get home at 3pm.. Go to sleep at 11 pm.. That's a lot of screen time, but probably quite common.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a school child during term time would be pushing it to achieve 3-11pm. I mean, what children are actually home from school by 3pm and already logging in? Not many, I wouldn't have thought. Then there's stops for their tea, there's homework, and there's those households where a bedtime of some description might be enforced...
vortex2000
PA
PA

41 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is 19 almost 20 and when he isn't at work or college he is definitely glued to the screen playing video games. It has become an obsession with him. He has been into video games since he was 4. We have to eliminate them totally sometimes because it affects his behavior and atitude. I know I'm not the only one experiencing this and others are going through it with younger children. I totally agree with what was said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum