AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying an owned domain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Buying an owned domain Reply with quote

Does anyone here have experience with buying owned domains? There are obviously far more out there that already have an owner, even if they are just squatting at the moment.

Does existing ownership put you off? Do you have a system for wrangling the domain from its owner?
Eagle
President
President

659 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently offered a squatter a 'not unreasonable sum' for a domain I'm after. They came back with a counter-offer of 100,000.

Needless to say, I told them they could ram it.
SeoAddict
Secretary
Secretary

10 ants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: buying domain Reply with quote

well I heard it's better to use escrow then direct transfer.. it's safer since buying means changing owner name address, phone number and lots of thing and only the real owner
can change that information or transfer host.

i think afternic offer this kind of service
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer as a buyer (from a stranger), but do have an experience as a seller to an unknown person. I had a small static site on one of my domains. It was ticking over nicely and I wasn't actively selling it. I'd not even thought about selling it.

A would-be purchaser appeared out of the blue and said he wanted to buy the domain. I said to make me an offer. His offer seemed very reasonable. I took the view that he wanted it more than I did and let him have it for his offer price - no negotiation or trying to screw more money out of him. We used escrow for the transaction which seemed to take ages but it all went through fine in the end.

To go back to your question, yes there are squatters and greedy people, but you might get lucky and find someone who isn't that bothered about the domain and who will sell for a fair price. I subsequently bought another domain at cost and put my little site on it. It doesn't do any better or worse than the site on the domain that was sold. Maybe it depends on what's currently on the domain and what the current owner hopes to gain from it.
thepeacock
Secretary
Secretary

10 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
I can't answer as a buyer (from a stranger), but do have an experience as a seller to an unknown person. I had a small static site on one of my domains. It was ticking over nicely and I wasn't actively selling it. I'd not even thought about selling it.

A would-be purchaser appeared out of the blue and said he wanted to buy the domain. I said to make me an offer. His offer seemed very reasonable. I took the view that he wanted it more than I did and let him have it for his offer price - no negotiation or trying to screw more money out of him. We used escrow for the transaction which seemed to take ages but it all went through fine in the end.

To go back to your question, yes there are squatters and greedy people, but you might get lucky and find someone who isn't that bothered about the domain and who will sell for a fair price. I subsequently bought another domain at cost and put my little site on it. It doesn't do any better or worse than the site on the domain that was sold. Maybe it depends on what's currently on the domain and what the current owner hopes to gain from it.

Interesting. Have they done anything exciting with the domain they bought from you ?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they have - but it's not my business. They can do what they like with it, or not. Smile
Yourbusiness
Secretary
Secretary

11 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: buying owned domains Reply with quote

Well, you can go to some aftermarket to buy the domains I guess.
Godaddy has a good one about it.
OdaaNok1
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone ever use name.com for buy the domainname as aftermarket domain name?
thinkingforward
Secretary
Secretary

16 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good having an aged domain as it's one of the many SEO factors looked at by Google.

I would have considered it if I had known at the time of starting my company.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, aged domains can have a small part to play in Google's algo, but I don't worry about it too much. I let an 8 year old domain go as a "free to good home" offer not so long ago, because I didn't want it any more and didn't want to pay to renew it.
CannyInvestor
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: buying domain Reply with quote

[quote="SeoAddict"]well I heard it's better to use escrow then direct transfer.. it's safer since buying means changing owner name address, phone number and lots of thing and only the real owner
can change that information or transfer host.

i think afternic offer this kind of service[/quote]

There are also new UK Government registered escrow services, such as Transpact.com, which now offer escrow protection for domain name transfer, at a cost of only 2.99.
Worth considering to protect yourself.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello CannyInvestor. Why not introduce yourself before diving in to recommend we visit other sites?

As far as I'm concerned, your recommendations are of no use to me because you've not told us anything about yourself.
CannyInvestor
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kay"]Hello CannyInvestor. Why not introduce yourself before diving in to recommend we visit other sites?

As far as I'm concerned, your recommendations are of no use to me because you've not told us anything about yourself.[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't mean to get it wrong.
And worse, I should have stated that I have a vested interest. in the website I was recommending That was very remiss of me. I apologise.

I work in a brand new sector - UK Government registered (via the FSA and HMRC) online escrow services, with a fixed fee (not percentage based) around 2.99 per transaction.

Our presence is starting to facilitate business deals which were not previously possible or economical.
In the web domain field, we allow a secure purchase/sale to take place for the first time at minimal cost.
But we are useful wherever a transaction involving payment is required (for goods or services).

Kay, does this answer your question (I'm still learning forum etiquette) ?.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it answers my question, thanks. But it doesn't really tell me any more than I already knew - you joined up and the first thing you did was to dump an advert on us. This is not acceptable behaviour on this, nor on most, forums. Most places consider that to be spam and would ban you immediately.

This is a great forum, and you're welcome to join in. But you must think before posting, and you need to be considerate of others. We are not here to soak up adverts from all and sundry. We're a community of like-minded people who enjoy discussing business-related matters.

If you want to introduce yourself, you may do so on the correct forum - the one at the top which asks you, in red font, to introduce yourself before posting anywhere else.
CannyInvestor
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kay"]... and the first thing you did was to dump an advert on us. This is not acceptable behaviour on this, nor on most, forums...[/quote]

OK.
Thanks.

But this forum etiquette is what I don't understand.
You see, I didn't dump an advert on you at all, as I genuinely see it. I found an Aardvark forum discussion directly related to escrow, and participated, mentioning in passing a directly related product which was pertinent to the post under discussion and of interest to the post.
At what point does that become an advert, and not a participating post ?
That is what I am confused about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum