AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I don't believe it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reg Nirrab
PA
PA

37 ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: I don't believe it! Reply with quote

I just received this enquiry from China:

Dear Manager:
We are a domain name registration service company in asia,which mainly deal with international company's in Asia.We have something important need to confirm with you company.On the October 17th, 2008, we received an application formally.One company named “CarDon Group” wanted to applying to register "xxyyzz" as internet brand and ".CN/.ASIA" domain names.

During our auditing procedure we find out that the alleged “CarDon Group” has no trademark, Intellectual property, nor patent even similar to that word. we found that the keywords and domain names applied for registration are as same as your company’s name and trademark. one point need you to confirm:
whether this alleged “CarDon Group” is your business partner or distributor in ASIA.
if so, we will complete their registration.These days we are dealing with it.If you are not in charge of this please transfer this email to appropriate dept.In order to deal with this issue better,please let someone who is responsible for trademark or domain name contact me as soon as possible.
Best Regards
Susan
Auditing Department Manager
Tel:+86-0513-8011 8536
Fax:+86-0513-8011 8539

-----------

1. For a professional DNS/Registrar business, their English is very poor, both in this email and on their website, particularly their "legal" pages.
2. I am the registrant of xxyyzz.com
3. Whether "CarDon Group is real or not, they would be perfectly entitled to register 'my' xxyyzz.cn or xxyyzz.asia domains if I haven't bothered to register them there.
4. Like another recent scam enquiry that we don't mention here, the WHOIS record shows no real world address. The registrant name of globaldns.org.cn is in Chinese characters - somewhat difficult to verify.
5. Like another recent scam enquiry that we don't mention here, their website's Contact Us page only has telephone and email address, no real world address.

I think they are hoping that I will respond "Oh, no, don't let CarDon Group have that, I'll register if myself. Please tell me how much I have to give you to protect my domain in .cn and .asia gTLDs.

No, I don't think so. I have ignored it and filed it in "unusual requests" folder.
I don't believe it !

Rolling Eyes
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: I don't believe it! Reply with quote

Reg Nirrab wrote:
I think they are hoping that I will respond "Oh, no, don't let CarDon Group have that, I'll register if myself. Please tell me how much I have to give you to protect my domain in .cn and .asia gTLDs.

Yep... I suspect that's exactly what they are up to.

It makes you wonder sometimes what the proportion of scammers to non-scammers out there really is. Rolling Eyes
IT-Square
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Yes, it does look to be a scam indeed. Reply with quote

Hi guys, I received almost the exact same message this evening, we're based in Adelaide, South Australia. I found this thread and the topic of this scam by searching for 'globaldns scam' on yahoo, just to see if it was really a scam before I replied to them..

Here's the email I got, only thing removed/changed is our domain name:

Dear CEO:

We are a domain name registration service company in asia,which mainly deal with international company's in Asia.We have something important need to confirm with you company.On the October 23rd, 2008, we received an application formally.One company named "Cardon Inc" wanted to applying to register "ourdomainname" as internet brand and ".CN/.ASIA" domain names.

During our auditing procedure we find out that the alleged "Cardon Inc" has no trademark, Intellectual property, nor patent even similar to that word. we found that the keywords and domain names applied for registration are as same as your company’s name and trademark. one point need you to confirm:
whether this alleged "Cardon Inc" is your business partner or distributor in ASIA.
if so, we will complete their registration.These days we are dealing with it.If you are not in charge of this please transfer this email to appropriate dept.In order to deal with this issue better,please let someone who is responsible for trademark or domain name contact me as soon as possible.

Best Regards

Andy Wu

*Auditing Department Manager*
Room 908,Hua Heng International Building,
No.99 TaoWu road,NanTong City.
Tel:+86-0513-8011 8536
Fax:+86-0513-8011 8539
Reg Nirrab
PA
PA

37 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more we post this stuff, however "obvious" it might be to us, I think we are doing a service to those less aware of these scams. By publicising it here, there is a likelihood it will be found by Google and others checking up will find it.

So, for SEO purposes it's probably worth reiterating that this is a DNS or domain name registration scam apparently run by globaldns. Their aim is to get you to register an asian version of a domain for which you are already the registrant as a the .co.uk or .com, and they think they will frighten you into registering the same domain but in their gTLD or national TLD.

Don't be fooled. Check them out. You will find it difficult to verify their bona fides.
india_love
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too got an email something like that..now its in trash..
nickora
Executive PA
Executive PA

79 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Had that one too.. Reply with quote

I have to admit i thought twice when i first got this scam sent to me just cause it was so different and actually got me to read it, but yup got pretty much exactly the same thing and would never follow it up. i have a favorite site about catching ut the scammers tho, check http://www.419eater.com/ they make the scammers hold up stupic slogans to try prove their real etc... very funny
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

419 scams are a bit different. But yes, that site can be quite amusing but people should recognise that 419 baiting can potentially be very dangerous. Make sure you read the warnings on that site: http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm
Eagle
President
President

659 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't believe that people fall for this...
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Domain Registry of America scam where they used to mass mail people by post to tell them their domain name was expiring. Their so-called renewal invoices (at an extortionate rate) looked believable, if you didn't know better, and many people fell for the scam.

There are so many scams out there, if you're ever unsure about anything it's always best to check first with others.
thesarasmile
Secretary
Secretary

21 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised the other month I got another one of those domain registry of America letters and someone I know up north got a domain registry of Canada letter.

There should be some regulation that puts these scammy dns services out of business.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your sentiments, Sara. But how often do regulations and legislation stop determined spammers and scammers?

If you're a bit more web savvy, which you obviously are, you think "How could anyone possibly fall for that???". But there are still people who do. That's probably why the spammers and scammers are still doing it.

There's a lot of ignorance and greed out there, and these people make perfect targets.
thesarasmile
Secretary
Secretary

21 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. But you would think with how technical the internet as a service is and all the people that run it that with something as heavily regulated as domain names they could police things a bit better. It's a very small business community compared to your average scams. It "should" be easy to track. And yes, there will always be people gullible enough to fall for the scams. The more we have in place to protect those consumers the better (usually).

Quote:
There's a lot of ignorance and greed out there, and these people make perfect targets.
very much agreed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum